Mother To Son

ARCHIE POV

I sat in the kitchen just eating an apple one morning. I sat at the counter. I couldn't stop thinking about Stella and the child. It was really stressing me out. Mom walked in the kitchen and made a cup of coffee.

"Good morning, Archie. You want coffee?" Mom asked.

"No." I said. She made her coffee and put creamer in it. She stared out the window in the kitchen for a minute. She was silent. I then heard her struggle suck in a breath. She started crying loudly. I got up and walked over to her. She set her coffee down and I put a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Archie. I just...I miss your father so much." She cried and tried to wipe her tears away. But they just kept coming out.

"I know, me too. But he's in a better place now and just waiting for us to join him. Smile at the sky and just let him know that you're there." I said. She looked over at me and smiled.

"You're such a good kid. You're just like him. You look like me but you have his eyes. Being a parent to you is the best thing that ever happened to me. I love you more than anything."

"Mom, I love you too."

"There's no love like a parent's love. I can't wait until you're a father one day. You'll understand how much beauty and love there is."

"But Mom, wasn't it scary?"

"Of course it was scary! But your father and you are the greatest things that ever happened to me. Your father loved you so much. You're just like your dad...you always do the right thing." Mom smiled widely. She walked away  from me. I leaned against the counter and started thinking. I know what I need to do.