The One That Got Away

JUGHEAD POV

I was trying to just live life without completely thinking about Betty. But no matter where I went, she was there. In the bathroom, the hallways, outside. She's even in my dreams. All my dreams are of me standing in the hallway and she's standing eight-feet away from me.

"Jughead, you hurt me." Betty would yell. I shook my head and shut my eyes. But then the voices wouldn't go away. "I can't have a life because of you! You did this to me!"

And then I'd wake up. Sweaty and not able to breathe. Then, I would cry. I would cry for about an hour and then I'd have the strength to go back to sleep. I've never felt guilty and upset in my entire life. But this morning...changed everything.

Doctor Cooper knocked on the door to my room. He came in before I could say anything else. He shut the door and stood in front of my bed. He was the quiet one for once.

"Just do it, Hal. Call me a prick. Call me a freak. Call me an idiot. I'm all ears."

"She's awake, Jughead." Hal said. I felt my eyes widened and my heart rise. She's alive. But now she's alive and in pain.

"I'm happy." I smiled weakly.

"She's begging to see you. Why don't you get dressed and brush your teeth. She's in room 329." Doctor Cooper said and began to walk away. I spoke up before it was too late.

"No, I'm not going to see her. I can't. I did everything wrong as a boyfriend. I'm not failing her again. Here. I wrote this just in case she woke up. I've been dead set on this for the last five days." I said. I took the envelope off of my nightstand and handed it to him.

"Jughead-"

"Please, Doctor Cooper. I don't wanna hurt her anymore than I have to." I said. He took gloves out of his pockets and put them on. He took the envelope.
——————————————————————
BETTY POV

I sat in my room. I had a fever of 102.6 and a really bad cough. I've also been having a lot of stomach cramps for no reason. This is what Dibbisons feels like. But I'll have Jughead to help me. Dad walked in and looked at me.

"Hi, Dad. Does the oxygen tube get comfortable?" I asked. He weakly smiled and nodded. I sat up and looked around. "Where's Jughead? Is he coming?"

"No, baby. He's not coming. He's not coming at all." Dad shook his head. No, that's not true. We kissed. I have Dibbisons now and...maybe we could be together.

"Dad...no." I whispered. Dad went over to my med-cart and got gloves out. He threw them at me and I put them on. He gave me a letter. I opened it and began to read Jughead's letter to me.

My Dearest Betty,
If you're reading this, then that means I've told you to stay away from me. I know it seems confusing now but this is better for both of us. You see, I don't think you realize how sick I am. There's no way I can help you because I'm this sick. You're very strong and you'll be able to get through this. I am the worst thing for you. In this life, my dear, you only have a few things. Medicine, patience, and love. And I've gotten all of that. I'm sorry that I took Duke University away from you. You'll never be able to get married and have children. No words will ever describe how sorry I am. I'm going to carry that burden to my grave. But I need you to know, that the kiss was all I've ever wanted in these past eleven-months or knowing you. My soulmate. You have your dad to take care of you now. Thank you for everything.

I Promise That We're Forever.

Yours always,
Jughead

I threw the letter on the ground and just started crying. Dad just watched and tried to say things to calm me down. But I couldn't. So I just turned on my side and continued crying until I fell asleep.