Chapter 4

Demi

The annoying sound of my alarm clock went off. I opened my eyes and hit the snooze button. I let out a groan as I had school today. I hate that place. I got up and got ready. I put on some jeans and a t-shirt and looked at myself in the mirror.

Fat. Ugly. Stupid. Loser.

The little voices in my head kept on saying to me. I put on my bracelets to cover up my cuts. I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs.

"Morning sweetie." My mom said and kissed me on the cheek.

"Morning." I replied back. I saw the food my mom made. Eggs, toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, and fresh orange juice on the table. I grabbed an apple instead and started heading for the door when my parents stopped right in front of me.

"Demi aren't you going to eat? I made these especially for you." My mom said. She's been getting on my case lately for not eating much. I had to keep my weight down if I wanted to be skinny.

"No mom that's ok I'm not that hungry anyways." I told my parents. They looked at eachother for a while and let out a sigh.

"Ok then. Have a good day at school sweetie." My dad said and kissed me on the forehead. I went out the door and started walking to school.

I finally approached the school and let out a sigh. Let this day of hell begin. I walked to my locker and put in the combination when a note fell out. I unfolded the note and written in big bold letters was the word:

LOSER

I almost wanted to cry but I couldn't do it here in front of everyone. I crumpled up the piece of paper and threw it in the recycle bin. I grabbed my books and started walking to my science class, when someone shoved me, causing me to bump into someone else making our books and papers fall.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry." I said grabbing my papers and books and started shoving them into my bag.

"It's alright." said a familiar voice. I looked up and saw Joe. He was furiously getting his papers and shoving them into his backpack. I wouldn't have thought that Joe would be going to my school. Out of all the schools in the district he would come to mine. He finally looked up and we made eye contact. He then smiled at me.

"Hey Demi. Here let me help you up." He said getting up holding out his hand. I took it and got up. Once I got up I then started walking to class before he could say another word.

Joe

"Alright guys have a good day at school." My mom said dropping me and my brothers off. We went into the office and got our class schedules. I started walking to my locker and tried to open it. I placed some of my books inside and started looking for my first class when someone bumped into me causing my stuff to spill everywhere. What a great start to the first day. I let out a sigh and started shoving my papers back into my backpack.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry." said the voice. She sounded familiar but I was too mad to tell.

"It's alright." I spoke through gritted teeth trying my best not to sound mad. I finished stuffing all my papers into my backpack and when I looked up, I saw Demi in front of me. We made eye contact for a while. I smiled at her before I decided on helping her up.

"Hey Demi. Here let me help you up." I held out my hand for her to get up. She looked at it for a while. The same way she looked at my hand when we first met. She finally gave in and took my hand. She started walking furiously down the hallway before I could say another word to her.

Demi

I felt so embarrassed. A tear fell from the corner of my eye as I finally approached my classroom. I started walking to my seat when someone tripped me.

"Oops my bad." she then started snickering as I knew she didn't feel bad. I looked up and knew it was Carly. She's hated me ever since first grade and I don't even know what I did to deserve it.

"Hey are you alright?" It was Joe. I'm guessing this is his first period too. This is just great. He helped me up and I turned to face him.

"Yeah I'm alright thanks." I said back to him and started walking to my seat in the far back corner. I plopped down on my seat and saw Carly flirting with Joe. My blood started to boil at the site of it. Why did she always do this to me? I then saw from the corner of my eye someone slide in the seat next to me. It was Joe. Why did he want to sit with me when he could be sitting with Carly? She's so much prettier and better than me. Were there no other seats available? I looked around and saw empty seats where he could have sat. I turned my head and saw Carly and her friends giving me intense glares that could burn holes into you. I looked down avoiding eye contact.

"Why are you sitting next to me?" I whispered to Joe as I started getting out a piece of paper and pencil to do the work on the board.

"Because I want to." Said Joe smiling. He clearly doesn't know the mistake he just made.