Chapter 51

*April 28, 2014*

Joe

I woke up and I remembered what happened. Nick told me Demi was gone and that she died in the crash. I couldn't exactly wrap my head around it and I didn't want to accept the fact that she was gone. But she was. How could she have died? She's left me on this earth alone. I didn't know what to do or how to feel. It's as if someone just ripped my heart out and stomped on it. Every part of me felt drained and an emptiness was built up inside of me. It felt as if a piece of me was missing. A piece I would never get back and piece I could never repair to make things back the way they were before. It's almost as if a part of me died. I didn't know how to feel and I'm not sure if I wanted to. My mother saw I was awake and came up to me.

"Are you okay Joe?" She wove her fingers into my hair. That touch I would never feel from Demi again. I would never see her face, her eyes, herself ever again. I would never feel her lips on mine again. I would never feel her hugs or the warmth of her body when she was next to me ever again. I would never hear her laughs or see her cries again.

"No. How did Demi die mom? She's suppose to be here with me. This isn't fair." She gave me a tissue and put her hands on my cheeks to wipe those tears away.

"I'm not sure Joe. The reports have said she died after the crash happened. They said that she was braindead after the crash happened. There was nothing you could've done to stop it. She was in such bad condition and when I saw the car I knew there was no way she could've made it. I didn't even know if you were gonna make it." She wipes her own tears. "But Joe, I know this isn't fair. And I know losing someone you love so much is difficult but it's going to be okay. I know you loved her very much and I can promise you that she's probably looking down at you right now."

"She was suppose to be here with me. She wasn't suppose to die. Not yet anyways. This isn't fair she's suppose to live mom!" I cried again as she held me softly.

"I know Joe. But maybe God had other plans for her." She told me. I couldn't help but to cry more. When my mom told me the date it only made me more sad and upset. It was April 28th. Today would've been one year. One year spent together. And we could've spend more. Today she was suppose to be in NYU getting ready for school. She was suppose to go to college. She was suppose to pursue her dreams of being a musician and singer. Her voice could've helped others. Her songs could've helped others. She was suppose to live just like how I am right now. She was suppose to make it out of that car accident alive just like how I am right now.

"Mom I love her. And I miss her." She nodded and cried with me.

"I miss her too sweetie. She felt like one of my own." After a while most of my family left and it was just me and Nick again.

"Nick.." I called out for him after a long moment of silence. He looked up and came to me.

"Yeah Joe?" He said. He seemed calmer now then he was when we fought.

"How did Demi die? Why didn't she live?" I asked him questions that seemed impossible to answer.

"She didn't have a seatbelt on." I furrowed my eyebrows. I was starting to remember what happened.

"What do you mean she didn't have a seatbelt on. She was buckled before we left." I reassured Nick hoping he got his information wrong.

"No. When they found her she didn't have a seatbelt on. That's how she died." Nick said sounding positive. I could've swore she had her seatbelt on. The memories of that night then came rushing back.

I put one of my hands on Demi's thigh again and inched it up.

"Joe come on." She slightly bit her lip.