Chapter 32

*Few days later*

Joe

I've been spending the most time I can with Demi. I want to make every moment count and remember all the good times before she goes. We haven't spoke about her leaving again cause it would just bring us to tears and sadness. We've done possibly everything we could together. We're now walking to the park under our tree from school. We sat down and leaned against the tree.

"So you have to sing for me before you go. I want to hear your voice at least one more time. That is after all why you're going to NYU right? For their arts program?" I asked her. Her smile disappeared for a second when I mentioned this, but it was a question I've been holding inside of me for a while now.

"I mean I don't know you know I don't usually like singing in front of people.." She contemplated for a second. Staring down at her lap.

"Come on Demi, please? We can even go to my father's studio and you could get the feel of a recording studio." I was begging. Hopefully my dad would say yes to just one day.

"Okay. I guess. But you can't laugh at me."

"I won't. I promise." We sat there in silence, but it was comfortable one.

"Do you ever imagine what the future is gonna be like for us?" She spoke out while looking up at the sky.

"Yeah. Of course." I told her grabbing her hand and interlocking our fingers.

"What do you think is gonna happen to us?" She looked at me with a bit of sadness in her eyes.

"I know that once we're done with college that you're gonna be the most amazing singer and you're gonna have shows, tours, and you're gonna live the rockstar life." She chuckled a bit.

"That probably won't happen. Who would want to sign me?"

"My dad and his company probably would." I stated to her.

"But what about us.."

"We're gonna be together. I'm gonna marry you and we're gonna have lots of babies." She laughed her infectious laugh.

"Maybe not too many. But you would marry me?" She smiled brightly at me gripping onto my hand.

"Of course I would. There isn't anyone else I can imagine spending the rest of my life with." She smiled widely at me with that.

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"But what happens if lets say I do become famous and I go on tours and make albums, how would we do then?"

"We could do it. We could conquer anything if we try."

"We should probably get going. I have homework." She got up and I let out a groan.

"Ugh you're no fun." She chuckled.

"Hey I wanna get everything done before thanksgiving break." We started walking back to our homes.

"Which is in a couple days thank god." She laughed and leaned her head on my shoulder.

"So I'm guessing our families are spending thanksgiving together then according to your mom." I nodded.

"Yup and I can't wait." I kissed her forehead. We headed over to my house today.

"And then you can come with me shopping afterwards!" She said cheerfully. I rolled my eyes playfully as I searched for my keys.

"You just bought 3 dresses. You have enough clothes already." I finally found them, but Demi reached for the door knob as it was already unlocked. Weird. We never leave the house unlocked.

"Why is your door unlocked?" She questioned. I furrowed my eyebrows wondering the same thing.

"I don't know." I headed inside slowly and cautiously with Demi next to me.

"Maybe someone tried breaking in." She joked.

"That's not funny." I went into the living room and my eyes widened at the site.

"JOE!!!" Ashley. She was back. With her family. What?! She came around and hugged me. Demi was still holding onto my hand. She gripped it tighter now.Ashley finally released. She looked from me to Demi then back to me.

"Ashley what are you doing here?" I barely spoke out. So much was going through my mind right now. My parents soon came down the stairs.

"Well remember back home when we used to celebrate thanksgiving together? Well my parents and I came down here so we can celebrate it with you guys this year!"

"Mom you're okay with this? I mean there's gonna be more food to cook and more people since Demi's family joining us too, remember?" I said the last word quietly. My mom nodded.

"It will be fine Joe. The more the merrier!" Demi looked down at the ground I put my arm around her waist.

"Hey you're Demi right? I don't think we really met last time." Ashley spoke out. Demi smiled.

"Yeah we didn't. It's nice to meet you." Demi looked at me seeming as if she wants to leave. I let out a sigh.

"I'm gonna take Demi home, I'll be back in a bit." We walked out the door. She looked upset when we were heading back to her house. We sat down on the steps to her home.

"Baby what's wrong?" I stroked her arm.

"It's just... you don't have feelings for her anymore do you?" Her eyes were filled with tears. I held her close to me.

"I don't Demi. I've told you this before. You're the one I really love and care about. I promise you she's just a friend." I can't believe she would still think I like her. I just wish she would believe me.

"Okay well have fun." She stood up. I stood up and gave her a long hug.

"I'll be fine don't worry." I looked her in the eyes. "I love you."

"Love you too." She went inside her house. This Thanksgiving is gonna be a disaster I can already feel it. I walked back into my house. I found Ashley's parents and my parents talking while Ashley sat on the couch and was going through her phone.

"So Demi's your girlfriend now?" She put her phone down to look at me.

"Yeah. She is? What about you? Any guy in your life?" I questioned her. I just hope Demi's okay.

".. Yeah. It's Seth. We've been going out for a month now." So I guess that just leaves us as friends then. Thank god.

"I'm glad you found a guy Ash. I'm happy for you." She smiled at playfully hit my arm.

"I'm happy for you too. Demi seems like a nice girl and she's really pretty. I approve." I laughed.

Demi

She's perfect. I could understand why Joe likes her. Or did like her. She's got the perfect hair, skin, height, body, and weight. She was everything I wasn't. I felt sick to my stomach. I couldn't even get my homework done. I went to my mirror and looked at myself.

Ugly. Fat. Disgusting.

I tried to calm myself with better thoughts. To not compare myself to others and be comfortable in my own skin. It wasn't working. This is gonna be tough.