Chapter 52

*June 6th, 2014*

"Joseph Jonas." The principal said my name as I walked past the stage and shook his hand while accepting my diploma. I heard the loud yells and horns and whistles from my family. I went back and took my seat. The principal went through the rest of the names and once the last name was said he spoke again.

"Ladies and gentlemen may I present you the graduating class of 2014!" The principal said into the microphone and everyone threw their hats into the air yelling, screaming, and applauding while hugging one another. I hugged and high fived Kevin and Nick as well. Once the ceremony was over I headed over to my parents and took pictures with them as did Nick and Kevin. I was finally done and graduated! Over the time I lost Demi, I finished up school it was hard when she wasn't around but I managed to get through it. The pain of her not being here with me today is strong. She should've walked that stage with my brothers and I. On the 27th of last month, my family set balloons up into the sky to remember her by. I feel like this should be something we should do every year to remember her by. A few days after that I got my casts removed and am slowly walking again. Her family and I were still on shifty conditions but I can't blame them. We would see each other in the neighborhood and all we would say is a simple 'hello'. We've never seen them leave their house as much as they used to. I wonder if they still have all of Demi's items in her room or if they decided to throw it out? I wonder if they still go into her room or if they can't even go near it anymore because it would be too much? My family and I then went out for a graduation dinner before we went home.

When we went home I got undressed from the cap and gown and put on a tshirt and some jeans. I grabbed a hoodie and put it over me. I put on some shoes and grabbed my phone with me. Right now I needed time for myself.

"Mom I'm heading out. I'll be back soon." She nodded her head and I went out the door. It was a nice summer night so I decided to take a walk. When I walked past Demi's house it was quiet. As usual these days. All their cars were in the front. I was considering going to her house but I just couldn't bring myself to it. The door to her house opened and I saw Dianna come out. We made eye contact for a while before she smiled at me and said hello.

"Hello." I responded back to her before I started walking again.

"Joe wait." I heard her call out to me. I stopped and looked at her. "Do you have a second?" I nodded my head and went to her house. Everything seemed the same here. We sat down at her dining room table.

"Congratulations to you and your brothers for graduating." She told me as she fixed herself up a cup of coffee.

"Thank you." Was all I said. She offered me some but I said no.

"Demi's funeral is in a few weeks and we would love for you to come." I looked up at Dianna when I heard her words.

"Are you sure?" I asked her unsure. She nodded.

"You were a big part of her life, Joe. I know you didn't mean to kill her but maybe this was just a way of God telling us that they needed another angel." Dianna spoke out softly. I tried to keep my tears in as I looked down at my watch. She spoke again.

"Our family has forgiven you and your actions. We know that life's too short to be upset with someone. I hope you could accept my apology about my husband lashing out the way he did on you." She apologized for her husband.

"No Dianna I deserved it." I told her as a tear slipped down my face "I killed your daughter. How could you be so loving and caring to me when I ruined your family?"

"Because Joe. Holding grudges and being mad at someone isn't going to solve anything. It's important to forgive people. I know Demi would want our family to forgive you." She spoke out softly. "And you didn't ruin our family. We know that we'll always be watched now by a guardian angel from above making sure that we're doing okay. And I know she watches over you too." Dianna put her hand on my forearm. I smiled a little at her.