Chapter 46

Joe

I got out of class and waited for Demi to come out of her classroom. I wonder what was going on with her. I know she's hiding something from me. Why was she hiding something from me? Did she think I would get mad at her? Or maybe that was it. She wasn't going to tell me because I would be mad or upset. As I was standing there thinking, Demi came up and was talking to me as it snaped me out of my trance. I didn't even realize the bell rang.

"Are you ready?" She chuckled. I nod and take her hand as we go outside since it's lunch. I was gonna ask her then what she's hiding from me. We sat down and ate for a few minutes in silence before I spoke up.

"Demi, I know you too well for you to lie to me. So what are you hiding from me?" Her smile faded and she stared at me as if I was crazy.

"What are you talking about?" She averted her eyes from me and continued eating. That's one way to catch someone in their lies. If they look away from you and can't make eye contact with you.

"This morning on our way to school. You didn't talk to me and you were thinking about something and when I asked you if you were alright you just said you were. You obviously weren't Demi. So what are you hiding?" She gulped down some water before she spoke again.

"Listen it's nothing so let's just leave it as is alright?" She said sternly. She closed her containers and put them back in her bag before she stood up and dusted the crumbs off her pants. She started walking away from me. What was her deal and why was she so sensitive about it? I quickly packed up my stuff and walked quickly to catch up with her. I grabbed onto her arm.

"Demi, hold on. You don't have to be mad at me. You know you can tell me everything and I won't be mad at you and I won't judge you." I put a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Just tell me what's wrong." I spoke to her softly hoping she would tell me. She opened her mouth but the bell rang. I sighed.

"I'll tell you after school." She turned back around and walked to her next class leaving me in there in the hall as students were starting to fill the halls. I knew now whatever the situation is I wasn't gonna push her to tell me.

Demi

When Joe asked me what was wrong I just wasn't ready to tell him yet. It was going to be hard for him to take the news in probably since it was an important day for the both of us. I didn't stop thinking about it though and how I was gonna tell him about the news. I just prayed he wouldn't be so mad at me or be upset with me because this was out of my control. When school was out, I went back to my locker to see Joe there smiling as if what happened at lunch didn't happen. I smiled back and opened my locker, grabbed the stuff I needed and then we left the school.

"Where should we go to get our work done today?" He asked me. I shrugged my shoulders.

"It doesn't matter." I hate being indecisive sometimes.

"Well let's go to my house and we can work in the backyard." We then walked to his house and he opened the door. We went into the kitchen area as he handed me a bottle of water as he got out some cut up fruit. He had a few before he put them away. It was a nice day today so might as well be outside and enjoy that sun. There was a hammock in his backyard so we decided to sit out there as the trees gave us some shade. I put my bag beside me as Joe did the same and sat next to me. We started swinging back and forth gently. After a while, I knew I had to tell him.

"Okay. So I do have something I have to tell you but don't be mad at me or be upset with me. He turned slightly so he could give me his attention. I took a deep breath before I spoke again worrying about his reaction. I averted my eyes from his as I didn't want to look at them cause it would only make me upset.

"So you know how our anniversary is on the 28th right? And you said you had something special planned for us?" I looked up quickly and he nodded smiling a little.

"Well NYU is having a special orientation on that date till the 30th.." I paused "and they wanted me to go." I looked up at his face trying to read it but it was too hard. His eyes finally made contact with mine. He gave me a soft smile and gently held my hand.

"Well if that's the case then we'll celebrate before you go." I smiled hearing him say that.

"Are you sure you're okay with that?" I asked him. He nodded then kissed my forehead.

"Yeah. I mean I'm a little upset but as long as we can still celebrate it together then i'll be okay with it. I want you to go to the school and experience it. If you're gonna be there for 4 years I want you to be comfortable and safe at your school." I kissed his cheek. I'm so lucky to have a boyfriend who's so supportive.

"I'm so glad to hear you say that. I really thought you would be mad and upset." I let out a breath of relief.

"I am a little but as long as we spend it together somehow i'll be okay with it. So when should we spend it? The weekend before you leave?" He asked me looking down at me. I reached down to my bag and grabbed my phone out looking at the calendar.

"Yeah that sounds good. Saturday the... 26th?" I ask him. He nods then pecked my lips.

"Sounds great to me." He says after we break apart from the kiss. I could feel his smile which makes me smile as well before I kiss him again. I was gonna miss this feeling for the next 4 years. I kissed him a little harder. Running my fingers through his scalp. After a while someone then cleared their voice. We quickly pulled apart. I turned my eyes to the glass door and saw it was Denise.

"I was going to ask if you kids wanted a snack but it seems to me that you two are just fine." I turned a bit red and looked down at my feet. Joe chuckled and put his hand on my back rubbing it softly.

"We're fine mom thanks for asking."

"Demi, do you wanna stay for dinner tonight? We're having lasagna." Denise asked me. I loved Joe's mom she treated me as if I was her own ever since I met her and I loved it. It made me feel accepted and it made me feel like part of the family.

"Sure. I just need to ask my parents first but I think they'd be okay with it. And sorry about that." I turned a bit red again. Denise laughed lightly and went back in the house.