If You're Not Here

Sam's POV

It's 9:00 am and Harry, Haz, and I are on our way to the hospital. Yesterday was scary. It felt like everything happened all at once. One minute I'm getting into Tom's car, and the next I'm at the hospital because my niece is in a coma. We park the car and look at each other. We brought Tom some food to eat, knowing him he won't eat it. We enter the dreadful building. We all walk to the reception desk. 

"We're here to visit Dawn Holland," Harry informs.

"Names?" The receptionist asks.

"Harry, Sam, and Harrison." Sam answers.

"What are your relations to the patient?"

"We're her uncles." Harrison answers.

"6th-floor room 23." We all walk towards the elevator. The doors ding open and we enter. The ride up is silent. I think we're all scared of what we'll find in room 23. We make it up to floor 6 and exit the elevator. There it is, room 23. We enter and find Tom in the same position and in the same clothes as yesterday. It looks like he hasn't moved since yesterday. He's still holding Dawn's lifeless hand.

"Hey." Haz says softly. 

"Hi." Tom greets but doesn't look up.

Harry and I sit down on a couch nearby. Haz sits on a chair next to Tom.  

"We brought you food." Sam states.

"I'm not hungry." 

"Tom. You probably haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon." Harry says. Tom just looks away.

"Have you even slept?" Haz asks. A tear trickles down Tom's face. That answers Harrison's question. "You have to get some sleep mate." 

"Sleeping, eating, showering, those are the last things on my agenda right now," Tom states forcefully. I look at Harry and Sam.

"Tom, we're all worried about you. This isn't you. You have to be strong for Dawn." I say.

"Can someone pass me the food?" He ask. We all smile. We all look over at Dawn. Please be ok.

Later that day...

Tom's POV

I'm talking with the Doctor about the blood donation and how it's gonna work. 

"Ok so, you're going to give 1 pint of blood. We'll inject you and afterward you may feel drowsy but just drink water and eat sugary things and you'll be ok." Dr. Owen informs. I nod. We walk into the room where they are going to take out my blood. Isabel came along for comfort and support. I walk in and sit down. Dr. Owen leaves to go get things ready. 

"How are you feeling?" Isabel asks.

"Scared, nervous, anxious," I answer. She kisses me on the cheek. 

"She'll be ok. She's strong. Takes after her dad." I console. Tom chuckles. 

"Thanks for being here with me." 

"No problem. I'll always be here for you." And then, I kiss her. This kiss feels different, it's more powerful. We kiss for some minutes and our lips separate. Dr. Owen comes back in with a needle. First, the doctor picks a vein to inject. Then, they disinfect the skin, and finally, they inject the needle into my skin. The pain was tolerable. I wince at the small pain. It takes about 10 minutes to get the whole pint of blood. Finally, after 10 minutes they have all the blood they need. Dr.Owen removes the needle and places a band-aid on the punctured skin. 

"Thank you so much, Mr. Holland. This may save your daughter." Dr. Owen states. "No we have to do the surgery." 

I nod. "Can I go see her." Isabel and I walk out and go to room 23. I open the door slightly and see Alan. He's holding Dawn's hand and talking to her. He has tears streaming down his face.

Alan's POV

I walk into room 23. I see Dawn in a worse condition than yesterday, and she's not awake. I see a folder and open it. It says she's in a coma. I drop the folder back on the table and sit down. I look at Dawn. She looks so pale. It's hard seeing her lifeless body. I miss her smiling face, her amazing gymnastics, and her amazing kissing. I miss her. I just sit there holding her hand and sobbing. I can't lose her. 

"I love you," I whisper. I get up and kiss her forehead. 

Tom's POV

"I love you," I hear Alan whisper. That's nice. He loves her. I walk in. 

"Hey Alan. How you doin'?" I ask and sit in front of him.

"Oh. Uh, hi. I'm ok." Alan responds.

"It's ok not to be ok," I assure.

"Are you ok?" Alan asks.

"To be completely honest, I'm not ok. I'm worried, anxious, and scared." I say. 

Alan nods. "She's strong." Alan gets up and I say bye. Isabel comes in and she freezes when she sees Dawn. She sits down next to me. All of a sudden Dr. Owen and some nurses come into the room. They finish and wheel the bed to the surgery room. They make everyone wait outside while they perform the surgery. I see the blood go in through a tube. Tears sting my eyes and fall down my face. Please be ok Dawn. About 1 hour later they are done with the surgery and now we wait. We wait for her to wake up. It's like they say, It's always darkest before the dawn.