Chapter 22 - Blackmail

Harry soon made it out the hospital wing and everything returned to normal. Naturally, Al kept an eye out for any black dogs running around, but she hadn't spotted anything just yet. It was Lupin's first lesson back after the full moon and she elected to hang back to speak to Lupin about the photo. It was now or never. "Professor, I was wondering if I could ask you something?" she said, as politely as possible.

 He looked up from Hermione's essay that she'd handed in and peered at her, his eyes twinkling, "Of course. Perhaps you should stay behind too Harry," he said and Harry hung back too. What was going on? She didn't want Harry to know about the picture. "I heard about the match," Lupin said to Harry. They began talking about his accident and Al began to move the photo that she clutched in her hand behind her back. Lupin had clearly misread the situation.

 "That's what you saw too, wasn't it, Al?" Lupin said, pulling her back to reality.

 "Sorry?"

 "The scene Harry described when he saw the dementors?" Lupin asked her again.

 "Oh yeah, I did," she replied, avoiding Harry's gaze.

 "You did?" he asked, slightly desperately, "Why didn't you say anything?"

 Before Al could respond, Lupin replied, "Shock, I think."

 Al shook her head, "No! It wasn't that at all - you were there!" she said, raising her voice and pointing an accusing finger at Lupin. She then turned back to Harry, "Dumbledore told me not to tell you."

 Harry's mouth dropped open and he looked somewhat like a goldfish, "But Dumbledore...why?"

 "And I told him to take you away from my parents at the end of first year because they were so horrid to you, and he said no!" she told Harry, who sat down on his desk, his eyes wide.

 "Why would he do that?" he asked no one in particular, his voice a whisper.

 Al shrugged, "Dunno. But I don't trust him, and you shouldn't either."

 Harry stood up and shook his head, "You're making it up - I don't believe you! Dumbledore wouldn't do that!"

 "Harry, I'm not making it up!" she protested.

 "Yeah, you are! Those Slytherins are rubbing off on you!" A silence filled the room that was soon cut short by a gaggle of first years passing by outside.

 "Take that back," she said calmly. When there was no response she clumsily fished her wand out her bag and pointed it at him, "You take that back Harry Potter! Now!"

 He took his wand out his pocket too, "Go on then. Let's see your true colours," he taunted. At the same time that Al cast a stunner, Harry yelled, "Expelliarmus!" But both the red beams of light ricocheted off a shield that had been cast between them and Al had to duck to avoid being hit.

 Lupin, who had been perched on his desk the whole time tucked his wand neatly into his robes and said, "Maybe we should all sit down." Harry shot one last glare at Al, before gathering up his things and storming out. How very Gryffindor. Lupin heaved a sigh of exasperation and followed him out.

 While he was gone, Al took another look at the photo - it was definitely him. Lupin soon returned, this time without Harry, "You're still here?" he said, surprised.

 Al nodded, "I did say I wanted to talk to you about something."

 "Not about the dementors?" he asked, his brow furrowed.

 "Not about the dementors," Al confirmed.

 He looked even more confused, "Then what do you need, Al?"

 She fished out the ever-crinkled note from Madame Pince, "I need you to sign this, please."

 He looked at it and then sighed again, "I'm afraid I can't. Sorry, Al."

 "I thought you might say that," she said, producing the photo, "Moony."

 His reaction was unexpected. He didn't seem surprised or angry - in fact, he chuckled to himself, "How'd you figure that one out?" he asked her, not looking up from the photo.

 "You're a werewolf," Al said shortly.

 "The boggart? Or Professor Snape's essay?" he asked, a smile spreading across his face.

 "Both," Al said, crossing her arms. This wasn't how this was supposed to go. But she still had one more trick up her sleeve.

 "And the picture?" Lupin asked, waving it before handing it back, "Where did you get this? I don't even remember James taking it."

 "A book in the library," she told him, "A book about becoming animagi. It was used as a bookmark." Lupin appeared to pale very slightly. It was going better.

 "Really?" he croaked, the smile still painted on his face.

 "And Harry was telling me about this big black dog he keeps seeing everywhere," she continued, "He's under the impression it's the Grim, but I think we both know otherwise. After all - Padfoot does suit a dog, don't you think?" Al hoped to god she was right, but Lupin suddenly looked very nervous. It seemed like she'd hit the nail on the head.

 After more silence, he spoke, "You're right. Black is an animagus. A dog."

 "And you haven't told Dumbledore because you're ashamed - werewolves have no effect on animagi. So your friends would transform and spend time with you at the full moons. Massively betraying Dumbledore's trust," she added. Al felt a little guilty at blackmailing him, especially as he hadn't done anything wrong as such. He just hadn't done one thing right. But she needed to read this book.

 "Who else knows?" Lupin asked, sitting down at his desk chair.

 "Just me," Al promised.

 "I'll sign your note," he said, "but please don't tell anyone."

 "I won't." It looked like Al was going to get to the bottom of this mystery after all.