Chapter 46 - A Night to Remember

Hehehe it's romance time ;) Thanks for reading!

 If you had told Al in September that by December she would be debating between a conversation about politics with Harry and the nerd-Weasel, or a sports conversation with an uncomfortable Bagman and George-Weasel, she would have turned around and got back on the train home. Yet here she was. Sat between Percy and George. And with Dumbledore so uncomfortably in her eye line that every time she looked up, she could just see him. Probably plotting something. It was infuriating.

 By the time dessert rolled around, though, George had turned his attention to Al, and seemed to be trying to make polite small talk, "So, where're you from?" he asked, dipping into his Creme Brulee.

 "You've been to my house, George," Al reminded him with a smile.

 "Right."

 There was a moment of silence, "What about you? How many brothers do you have?"

 "Five and Ginny," George said.

 "Five?" Al asked, astonished. She was sure he only had three.

 "Yeah, but Charlie and Bill are older," George informed her.

 "What do they do?" she asked.

 "Bill's a curse breaker and Charlie's a dragon trainer."

 Al nearly dropped her spoon, "That's so cool!"

 "I know! Sometimes we go and visit them - like last summer, we went to Egypt, and we got to see all the tombs and pyramids and stuff." He caught himself getting excited and lowered his voice, "Me and Fred locked Percy in a tomb!"

 "You didn't!" she whispered, giggling. He only nodded, trying to stop himself from laughing.

 All too soon, it was time for the moment Al had been dreading for weeks - dancing. The champions all made their way to the dance floor that had been cleared, and Al felt significantly less graceful with both Fleur and Cho in her line of view. Her only solace was that both Harry and Granger were there too. "Just so you know," George said light-heartedly, "I haven't got a clue what I'm doing."

 "Me neither," Al said, growing increasingly nervous. She glanced over at Fleur, who definitely did know what she was doing, "Okay, put your hand on my waist," she grabbed his shoulder, "And then hold my hand like this...oh we're starting. OK so step...step...step," she said, more for herself than for George, who was laughing softly at her, "What?" she asked with a sheepish grin.

 "I think we're doing alright," he whispered to her, making her smile. He was right - they weren't stumbling or anything. And once they got into the rhythm, Al found she was enjoying herself quite a lot. "Aren't you glad McGonagall found you a partner?"

 She laughed, "Don't flatter yourself, Weasley." They danced for a while, and gradually more and more people joined in. Al was sure she saw Draco being dragged forward by Pansy and Daphne and Theo shuffling around awkwardly. But she was right in the centre and couldn't get a decent view.

 Soon, the track switched to Do the Hippogriff - a classic party anthem. She danced and jumped around with George and they laughed. Al realised that her nerves were practically gone at this point, and she was actually quite enjoying herself, even with a Weasel!

 The track ended and moved to one Al didn't know, "I'll get us some drinks?" she called to George over the din.

 "Sounds like a plan," he said, moving off to find Fred. 

 Al grinned stupidly to herself as she went off to the bar, "Two redcurrant rums with lemonade, please," she ordered as her three friends strolled up behind her.

 "So," Daphne said, making her jump, "George Weasley? Where did that come from? Thanks," she added to Theo, who handed her a vodka-pumpkin juice.

 "McGonagall made us pair up," she said, taking a sip of her drink, "But he's really not that bad. We're actually getting on quite well."

 "I can't believe you danced with a Weasel - of all the people!" Draco said, taking a swig of Butterbeer.

 "Better than the Weasel," Theo said from behind Daphne.

 "You're just bitter Draco," Daphne said with a smile, "Because you've had to come with-"

 "Draco! There you are," Pansy Parkinson screeched, coming up behind the group. Al dared a glance at Draco's face - he looked like he'd rather go swimming with the Giant Squid than have to spend another second with Pansy.

 Al saw a flash of ginger out the corner of her eye and turned to see George trying to catch her eye. She bid goodbye to her friends, grateful to avoid Pansy, and made her way over with their drinks. "Good choice," George said as he sipped at his own.

 "Scared to say hello to my friends?" Al teased, fiddling with the straw as they swayed to the music from the sides.

 "You are hilarious," George told her sarcastically, "I was actually wondering if you wanted to go for a walk? But if you're not interested..." he trailed off, teasing her in return.

 "I suppose I could spare a few minutes of my time," she replied, before taking his arm and heading out into the entrance hall.