Chapter 101 - The Gaunts

Happy reading :)

 Al showed up to Dumbledore's office after a light lunch consisting of a banana and some cheese at exactly one o'clock. He was waiting for her, smiling as always. "Have a seat," he said, and Al obliged. "You may be aware that I am giving your cousin similar lessons?"

 "No, Sir," Al admitted.

 "Well," Dumbledore said, "Last night I showed him a memory from an old ministry employee, named Bob Ogden. This afternoon, I will show it to you."

 "Sir," Al asked hesitantly, "What does this have to do with Voldemort?"

 "Everything," Dumbledore replied simply, "For you see, it is crucial that we understand not only ourselves, but also our enemy."

 Al nodded. "I've spoken to Draco," she said.

 "Indeed?" Dumbledore asked, mildly interested. "What did he have to say?"

 "He apologised," Al said, "And told me he's a Death Eater. Voldemort had ordered him to kill you."

 "I'm aware of these developments, Al," Dumbledore assured her, and Al assumed that he had got this information from Snape, "Have you gained his trust yet?"

 "I think so," Al said, "But I don't want to push him - he was brave enough showing me the mark. I'll wait a while longer before I make the offer."

 "A wise decision," Dumbledore agreed, "Although, I wouldn't wait too long. I dread to think of the foolish mistakes he may make in his attempt. My utmost priority is ensuring nobody is harmed while he deliberates." Al nodded in understanding. "And now, down memory lane."

 Al stepped over to the pensive, and copied Dumbledore in putting her head into it. It felt like she was tumbling down a vast hole, and she fell through what felt like a cold cross between water and air. A mist of sorts. Finally, her feet found their place again, and Al was stood in a country lane next to Dumbledore.

 A man stood before her, dressed so bizarrely that Al wondered if he'd escaped from a mental institute, before she realised that it was a wizard attempting to blend in. She and Dumbledore followed him through the lanes, and passed a sign that read Little Hangleton: 1 mile.

 "Is he visiting the Gaunts, sir?" Al asked in a whisper, unsure if she should make any noise at all.

 "He is indeed," Dumbledore said a faint smile playing on his lips. Al noticed that he spoke at a normal volume, so allowed herself to make a little more noise with her walk. They followed Ogden through the hedge and towards a shack, with a snake pinned to the door. No doubt they would be parselmouths and Slytherins like Voldemort was.

 As Ogden neared the door however, another, much younger man leaped from a tree and hissed at him. Al felt very smug that she'd been right on the parselmouth account. Evidently, Ogden was not, because he spluttered about not understanding until the second man drew his wand and attacked him.

 The door flung open and another, older man looked down at him, where he'd fallen on the floor. "From the Ministry?" he growled aggressively.

 "Yes, I am!" Ogden said, "You're Mr Gaunt?"

 "I am," Gaunt said, "Got you in the face, did he?"

 "Yes he did!" said Ogden angrily.

 "Then you shouldn't have come barging onto private property, should you?" Gaunt said, "My son's got to defend himself."

 "Against what?" Ogden asked angrily.

 "Muggles," Gaunt said, "Filth." Gaunt hissed something at the man from the tree and he hurried inside, if looking a little reluctant.