Chapter 24 - Peter Pettigrew

As usual, thank you for your patience and support :)

 Al knew she hadn't been herself recently. She was constantly locked up inside her head, thinking about how she could get her soul back. And it was clear that her friends had noticed. Draco always seemed to awkwardly hover around her, as if he was too scared to approach her; which she kind-of understood. He was confused about her change in behaviour and confusion always scared people. Daphne obviously felt pity on her, and kept inviting her to do things like watch the Hufflepuffs practice quidditch. Apparently their captain was fairly 'easy on the eyes'. Theo was the only one who wasn't acting weird. Al didn't think he'd noticed any change. He just carried on reading books and kept her company.

 It was one snowy Saturday morning when Al was sleeping in that she finally went back to normal. "Get up," Daphne ordered, snatching her covers back. Al shivered at the cool air and made to grab them back but it was no use - she was awake now.

 "Leave me alone," she croaked, the taste of morning coating her mouth.

 "No way," Daphne said, "Get ready - we're all Christmas shopping for our parents in Hogsmeade." Al smiled - she did quite like Christmas shopping.

 Thirty minutes later, Al was wrapped in a winter cloak and heading down to Hogsmeade with Draco, Theo and Daphne. She had a piece of buttered toast in one hand and a thermos full of hot chocolate in the other. "Is that a muggle thing?" Theo asked, shamefully fascinated.

 Al nodded her mouth full of toast, "My squib cousin got it me," she lied, holding her hand up to her mouth to stop her getting crumbs everywhere, "It keeps drinks hot."

 Theo grinned, "Cool."

 They didn't spend long shopping because the streets were coated in ice and they kept slipping everywhere. Al managed to find the least wizarding presents she could - a broach for her Ma and a box of chocolates for her Pa. Eventually they decided they'd be best scrambling for a table in the Three Broomsticks. As usual, it was packed, but they soon found a small table near the door. It was barely big enough for two but they managed to squeeze four chairs round.

 Daphne and Theo went off to get the butterbeers and Al peered round. She soon spotted a familiar black head and left Draco on his own to save the table. "Hi Harry," she said approaching the trio. He jumped and turned around and Ron's ears went red. "What?" she said, laughing nervously.

 "Oh-um...it's nothing really," Granger stuttered and Al resisted the urge to roll her eyes as she normally did when Granger opened her mouth.

 "OK, well I was just wondering if you were coming back for Christmas, Harry?" she asked, already knowing the answer.

 "No, you're alright, thanks," he said, hardly making eye contact with her.

 "Alright, I'll see you around. Happy Christmas," she said, before turning to leave. The door opened and a draught of cold air wrapped around her as Granger gasped. Al turned back to see the Weasel and Granger shoving Harry under the table. She stood there, aimless in her confusion, before Ron grabbed her arm, dragging her into Harry's seat and Hermione levitated a Christmas tree to hide them from view. "What's going on?" she hissed to them.

 "Harry's not really supposed to be here," Ron explained in a whisper, "Because of...Black."

 "Oh for Pete's sake!" she quietly exclaimed as the sound of scraping chairs and thudding glasses came from behind her.

 "I really wish you'd stop sending the dementors into my pub, Minister," Rosmerta said.

 "Well, well," another voice said dismissively, "They're only here to protect you from something much worse," he said.

 "I still have trouble believing it," Rosmerta said, "I remember when Black was still at school. Used to come in here all the time."

 The minister sighed, "Most don't even know the worst of it."

 "What could possibly be worse?" Rosmerta asked, astounded.

"Well, you remember who he used to hang around with?" McGonagall's voice said from through the tree.

 "Yes, Sirius Black and James Potter - you'd've thought they were brothers!" Rosmerta said. Al heard a clunk from where Harry was under the table.

 "Inseparable," Flitwick's voice chimed in.

 "Well, that didn't change after they left Hogwarts," McGonagall said, "Potter trusted him more than anyone."

 "Few people know this," the Minister said, "But the Potters knew You-Know-Who was after them. They used an immensely complex spell to shield themselves."

 "The fidelius charm," Flitwick said, "Stores a secret within a soul. The chosen person - or Secret Keeper - is the only person that can divulge that secret, and only when they choose."

 "So Black was the Potter's Secret Keeper?" Madame Rosmerta asked, her voice hushed.

 "Naturally," McGonagall said, "The Potters trusted Black more than anyone else."

 "And then, less than a week after the charm had been performed, the Potters were...well," the Minister said, trailing off.

 "AN' I COMFORTED THE MURDERIN' TRAITOR!" Hagrid's voice boomed, making everyone around him jump.

 "Hagrid, please," McGonagall urged, "Keep your voice down."

 "I'm sorry Professor," Hagrid said, "It's jus'...I must've been the las' one to see 'im before 'e murdered all them people." He sounded like he was on the verge of tears and Al glanced over at Granger, whose lip was trembling. Al rolled her eyes - he was obviously drunk. "He asked to take young 'Arry," Hagrid continued, "But I told 'im no - had my orders from Dumbledore, see."

 "But the Ministry caught up with him not long after that?" Rosmerta asked.

 "Sadly no," the Minister said, "It was Peter Pettigrew that caught up with him."

 "Peter Pettigrew?" Rosmerta asked.

 "Little lump of a boy," McGonagall explained, "Always tailing behind Potter and Black."

 "Oh yes," Rosmerta said.

 "He never was as talented as the others," Flitwick said.

 "I for one feel I was too harsh on him," McGonagall said sadly, "You can see how I regret that now."

 "There now, Minerva," the Minister said kindly, "Pettigrew died a hero's death. If only he'd waited for the ministry..." he trailed off.

 "Should'a left it ter me!" Hagrid said, "I'd 'a finished Black off-"

 "You don't know what you're talking about, Hagrid," the minister interrupted, "I was at the scene myself - I was junior minister at the time. Half the street was blown up, all the way down to the sewer. Black was a maniac. He was stood there laughing over all that was left of Pettigrew - his finger and a pile of blood-stained robes..."

 "Is it true he's mad minister?" Rosmerta asked.

 "I wish I could say so," the Minister said wistfully, "On one of my recent visits he seemed perfectly sane. He even asked to do the crossword of my paper."

 There were a few moments of silence, then, "If you're dining with the headmaster, Minister, we'd best be getting up to the castle," McGonagall said. There was a scraping of chairs and Al felt the draught from the door. Ron and Hermione busied themselves with trying to talk to Harry, but Al stayed silent - something wasn't adding up about that conversation, but she didn't know what or why.

 "I'll see you," Al said to Harry, who had emerged looking pale from under the table. He nodded and for once Ron and Granger both seemed courteous and nodded too.

 "Where've you been?" Draco asked as she approached their table. She grabbed her cloak and full but lukewarm tankard of butterbeer, downing it in one.

 "It doesn't matter," she said, "but I do need to go to the library."