Chapter 54 - The Duelling Tournament

You guys I loved writing this chapter - thank you so much for sticking with me :)

 Al was in the library, as she always was, sat in a study group with Theo, Daphne and Draco, all of who were revising for the exams Al didn't have to sit. Instead of revising, or studying for the final task, she was going over the prediction that Trelawny had made, which was scribbled in the centre of a piece of parchment in front of her.

 When the chosen one changes paths, Al had no idea what that meant. Who was 'the chosen one' for starters? And what's the changes paths rubbish? A career path maybe?

 His connection will take the lead, meant that the chosen one was a boy. His connection could be his soulmate or a relative maybe? And what would they be leading?

 Vanquish his greatest opponent, that could mean anything! It could be bloody metaphorical for all Al knew.

 By inheriting the burden from All Hallow's Eve, referred to Halloween, but what burden, and who from? And for that matter, who to? The prophecy probably wasn't even about her.

 But only through the greatest sacrifice, probably death. Of 'the connection' or a loved one.

 Will they succeed. Who was they? THEY? That was so unclear it was absurd.

 Al groaned and threw her quill down in frustration, and Theo slammed his book shut. "Will you quit it with that prophecy rubbish?" he said, "You should be studying for the task, or finding out who wanted to do you in."

 Al shrugged, "Probably Snape," she said, "Especially since I saw that vision. I bet that's it - I'll have to face off with Snape."

 "Don't be ridiculous," Daphne scolded, apparently looking for a reason to stop studying.

 "I mean it!" Al said, "Snape is probably the person who wants to do me in the most!" They quietened down as Madame Pince walked by, glaring.

 "OK, so we'll add Snape to the list," Draco said, "Obviously no one from Durmstrang or Beauxbatons," he listed, "And Moody said no Hogwarts student could confund it. So who else? Dumbledore?"

 "Maybe," Theo said, "Maybe he found out about our third side."

 "No, that doesn't make sense," Al said, "Why would he ask me to run the duelling club and defend myself better? Speaking of, have you all signed up for the tournament after the holidays?"

 "Yeah," Draco said, and Daphne and Theo nodded.

 "So, any other teachers want to do you in?" Daphne asked.

 "No, I'm a bit of a suck up," Al said sadly.

 "You got that right," Draco laughed, and Al hit him with a book.

 "Well, what about Moody? You said something about him on Halloween?" Theo asked.

 "I mean, I suspected him at first...but I just think he's just a bit wacky in the head. You know?" They all nodded in agreement, before going back to their respective tasks.

*****

 Al clambered up to the duelling platform nervously. There were loads of people that had come to watch the tournament. It was mid-April, and the Duelling club had booked out the Great Hall for the whole afternoon. There were all the people in both the amateur and advanced clubs, even though only sixteen select students from advanced would be competing, and their friends had come, and even some Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students had come.

 The house tables had disappeared, and been replaced with stacked benches around the room for the audience to watch. There was a shimmering protective shield that Flitwick had put up to protect the spectators. The benches were full, save for the bottom row which had been reserved for participants. Down the centre of the room was a long platform, which Al now stood on to address the room.