Chapter 142 - Gryffindor Spirit

Enjoy :)

 Al sat and read her Magical Theory book while Daphne and Neville did their Herbology essays on the newly expanded table (now built for ten), and Ginny and Luna worked on the Dark Arts homework they'd been set. Ginny kept mumbling rude things under her breath, and Daphne kept looking at what Luna had written and telling her it was really good, that the Carrows would love it. Which probably meant she'd written about wrackspurts or something.

 Daphne sighed and closed her book. "That's as good as it's going to get," she said, rolling her eyes, and putting her quill away.

 "I can have a look if you want?" Neville offered, but Daphne just sighed.

 "No, you're alright," she said, "Thanks though." Neville smiled and returned to his own essay, which was already twice as long as Daphne's. "Al, could you do me a huge favour?"

 "Sure," Al said cautiously, putting  her book down. "What d'you need?"

 "Could you come with me to get my trunk and stuff?" Daphne asked, "Please?"

 Al checked her watch. It was half eleven - she'd want to go to bed in a bit. "Now?" Daphne nodded. "Alright then."

 "Hold on," Ginny said, "What are we supposed to do while you're gone?"

 Al just shrugged. "Carry on with what you're doing now," she suggested.

 "But what if someone else comes?" Ginny said, "What do we do then?"

 "I'll only be half an hour," Al said, amused, "There's potions in my store cupboard, and loads of books on healing magic if you need it." Ginny didn't look convinced. "We'll be quick," Al promised, before heading out with Daphne. "What was that about?" she hissed.

 Daphne sighed. "Honestly, you do this every year." Al frowned at her. What did she do every year? "Ever since fifth year people have been looking at you for what to do," Daphne explained, "This year's no different. They're scared, Al, and you're a pretty powerful figure to follow. You're like Dumbledore's replacement."

 "I am not Dumbledore's replacement," Al scoffed, as they went round a corner in the dungeons. There was a girl - a second year by the looks of it - lying on the floor surrounded by the two Carrows.

 "I'll ask you again," Alecto said, her eyes dancing with malice in the flickering torchlight, "What were you doing out of bed?"

 "I was visiting Madame Pomfrey," the girl sobbed.

 "Crucio!" Amycus cried, and the girl writhed and shrieked in pain on the floor.

 Al stepped forward from the shadows, gut twisting at the sight. "That's enough!" she called. The Carrows stopped and looked to Al instead.

 "And what might you be doing out of bed, Dursley?" Alecto sneered.

 "Midnight stroll," she shrugged coolly. "And I'm Head Girl, so..."

 "We can have that title taken away from you," Amycus pointed out, clearly trying to be menacing.

 Al sighed, walking towards him slowly until they were face to face. "You don't realise this, Professor," she said, "You clearly can't get it through that thick skull of yours - but it isn't this badge that makes me Head Girl. I have backing from the student body and the faculty, which is far more than either of you can say. And I have powers you couldn't even dream of. That is why I'm Head Girl, not because I got a badge delivered in the post."

 There was silence except for the second year's crying. "Your friend isn't though," Alecto said, "Greengrass is it? You shouldn't be out at night."

 "I said that's enough," Al said, "I suggest you leave before we make a mess. Or have you forgotten what happened the other week?"

 The Carrows looked at each other, clear nervousness in their eyes, but their expressions frustrated. "Get to bed, all of you," Amycus finally said. Daphne rushed forward and helped the girl up, while Al continued to glare at them.

 "Goodnight, Professors," she eventually said, before strolling calmly after Daphne, wand clutched in her hand.

*****

 Ginny, Neville and Luna had taken up almost permanent residence in the room of requirement with Al and Daphne, as they came to them whenever they had detention, which was quite frequently. Al had stocked up on the robustness potion, and carried one or two vials wherever she went. She even gave one to Slughorn to inspect, which really made his day, Al was pleased to report. The recipe had been stored in her copy of Advanced Potion Making, so she could refer to it alongside all the other potions she found herself making.

 It was one Tuesday night, when Al was studying for an Arithmancy test that Neville came to her, grinning excitedly. "What have you done?" Al asked, raising her eyebrows.

 "Nothing," Neville said innocently. "Not yet."

 "What are you going to do?" Al asked, pushing her book away. It seemed there wouldn't be much time for studying.

 "Steal the sword of Gryffindor." He looked smug as he said it, almost as if he'd already done it. "You coming?"

 "To Snape's office?" she asked and Neville nodded. "No way. I'll wait here for you and clean up the mess. But it's a good idea - it'll boost morale."

 "Alright," Neville said, as he Ginny and Luna made their way out, "Make sure there's a display cabinet for it when we get back!" Al chuckled and went back to her revision and Daphne came out of the girl's bathroom with wet hair. They now had three doors leading off the main room, a girl's bathroom, a boy's bathroom, and a potions room. And there were nineteen hammocks now - one for each of the people that had stayed there after detention.

 "Was that Neville?" she asked.

 "Yep," Al replied, not looking up, "They've gone to steal the sword of Gryffindor."

 "Idiots," Daphne muttered, sitting down and pulling her charms book towards her.

 "Yeah," Al agreed, "But nice ones."

 An hour later, Daphne yawned and went to sleep. Al was tempted to as well, but the three of them still hadn't returned, and it didn't seem like an hour long job. Eventually, if reluctantly, Al fell asleep in the chair she was sat at.

 She was in a cold dark room, and someone was shifting around on the floor in front of her. George. The door opened, and Snape came in with a vial of potion. He walked purposefully towards Al, who shrank away from him, but he didn't hurt her. Instead he handed the vial to her. "No," she whispered, but she couldn't stop herself. She poured the vial into George's mouth, and he screamed and jolted on the floor, and Al couldn't do anything.

 "Stop!" she yelled.

 "Fine," came Voldemort's cold voice, echoing from the walls. The body turned into Harry, then Remus, Neville, Daphne, Ernie, Ginny, Luna.

 "Al!" Al's eyes snapped open and she was greeted with the cool night air of the room of requirement. She was covered in a cold clammy sweat, and her throat was sore as if she'd been screaming. Daphne's worried face hovered in front of her, her hand's on her shoulder's. She'd forgotten to take her potion again.

 "What time is it?" she mumbled.

 "About half three," Daphne said, "They're back."

 Al looked over to the main table to see Luna, Ginny and Neville, looking almost lifeless. They all had blood all over them, and their faces were puffy and swollen. Neville's shoulder stuck out at an odd angle, and Ernie and one of the Hufflepuff sixth-year prefects were stood by them, stealing horrified glances between the trio and Al.

 "Right," Al said, pulling her wand out and going over to Neville, who was clearly in the worst state. Dislocated shoulder, cuts on his arms and legs, lots of bruising. Wound cleaning potion, bruise paste, and then a robustness potion. Ginny needed a wound cleaning potion, and she also had a broken nose, so bruising paste and robustness. Luna just needed the wound cleaning paste and robustness potion. And they all needed blood-replenishers. She had her work cut out for her.