Chapter 39 - The Goblet's Selection

Ooh I like this chapter!! Sorry it's a little bit shorter than normal, but I was at a good stopping point :)

 The castle was already abuzz by the time Al got up for her early morning run the following day and by the time Al was leaving the Duelling club to go down to the Halloween feast, she was chatting excitedly with Hannah Abbot from her Defence class.

 The group were among some of the last in the hall and the food appeared just as Al had sat down in the seat her friends had reserved for her. She ate and talked happily with her friends, discussing who might get picked and what the tasks might be. Al hardly had time to eat she was so excited.

 Silence filled the hall as the plates cleared and Dumbledore stood up, "The Goblet is almost ready to make its decision," he announced to the students who waited with bated breath. "When the champions names are called, I ask that they move through this room where they will await instruction for the first task." He extinguished all the candles in the room so that only the glow from the Goblet lit the hall.

 The tension could've been cut like fabric as they waited for an eternity. Then, the Goblet turned red, and a piece of parchment flew out. "The champion for Durmstrang," Dumbledore said, "is Viktor Krum!" A storm of applause spread through the hall as Krum got up and headed out through the door.

 The hall reached silence again and Al grinned in the darkness as the Goblet turned red again, omitting another piece of parchment, "The champion for Beauxbatons," he called, "will be Fleur Delacor!" A very pretty girl with shining silver hair stood up, smiling from ear to ear.

 The hall was now so quiet, you could probably hear the house elves below if you strained your ears, as the students waited to see who the Hogwarts champion would be. Then, the flames glowed red and the final piece of parchment flew out, "The Hogwarts champion...is Cedric Diggory!" Al couldn't help it. She cheered and clapped loudly with everyone else as the Hufflepuff Quidditch Captain stood and shook Dumbledore's hand.

 It took a while for the calamity to die down, especially for the Hufflepuffs, but Dumbledore managed it, "Now, we have our three champions!" he said, clapping his hands together, "I'm sure you will all support them greatly, and by cheering them on you will contribute-"

 But Dumbledore stopped, as once again the Goblet's flames turned red and a piece of parchment shot out. Everyone was silent as they waited to see whose name was on it. Finally, Dumbledore cleared his throat, "Harry Potter..." Al gasped in shock, "...and Alexandra Dursley."

 What? Al hadn't entered! Her stomach dropped, as she glanced over at the Gryffindor table, where Harry sat, looking just as gobsmacked. Her stomach then dived and looped as she searched the staff table too, looking for a friendly face - there were certainly none around her. Her eyes landed on Moody, who was watching her, but not with the expression of shock that the others wore. Al supposed he couldn't move his face from all the scarring.

 Dumbledore called their names again and Al stood without looking at her friend's faces. She hurried to the front, careful not to trip as she felt herself becoming flushed. Harry was taking his time to join her where she stood with Dumbledore. When he arrived, the pair made it towards the door together.

 "Did you do this?" Al hissed through her teeth, trying not to move her lips much. Harry didn't respond, "Harry!" she hissed again, "Is this your fault?"

 Harry waited until the door was safely shut behind them before he answered, "No! I didn't, ok?" he shouted.

 "Well who did then?" she said, raising her voice too, "Because it wasn't me!"

 "What eez zis?" Fleur asked stepping forward, "Do zey want us back in ze 'all?"

 Harry and Al both ignored her, "Maybe someone did it as a joke?" Harry suggested.

 "Look around, Harry!" Al shouted, filled with rage, "Five champions! Five! This isn't some random prank, it's a plot!"

 "What are you on about?" Harry shouted, "You're turning into Moody! With your stupid duelling club and your Slytherin mates and-"

 "You always drag me into this shit!" Al screamed, "Quirrel knocks me out," she began listing on her fingers, "a basilisk attacks me, your dad's friends are all trying to kill everyone, and now this!"

 "None of this is my fault!" Harry shouted at her, red in the face.

 "WELL I NEVER ASKED FOR YOU TO BE MY COUSIN!" Al shouted back. They both stopped, gasping for breath in disbelief at what Al had just said. She wasn't sure she meant it. She stalked off to a table in the corner which she sat on top of, not looking at Harry. She was so angry at him.

 The three other champions stared between the two of them, registering what they had just said. "Five champions?" Cedric asked her. She only nodded in response.

 Bagman entered the room, catching everyone's attention, "Extraordinary-" he commented, approaching Harry, but stopped short when he read the solemn looks on everyone's faces.