Chapter 157 - Michael Corner's Detention

:)

"Who's the letter from, Nev?" Al asked as she sat down opposite him, Remus's duelling book in hand - again.

"My Gran," he said proudly, folding it up and putting it in his breast pocket, "They sent some Aurors after her last night. She fought them off and says keep up the good work."

There was a swelling pride in his tone and in his eyes, and Al could tell that this news meant more to him than he was letting on. "That's great!" she said, smiling kindly. But then there was a thud at the door. Al stood as Anne and Daphne drew their wands and opened it. There was a gasp from those stood nearest the door, and the two girls dragged a body in, smearing blood in their wake. Al pushed her way to the front and conjured a stretcher, lifting the body onto it. The boy's chest lifted slightly with a faint breath, and she could feel a slight pulse. A pleasant surprise giving the volume of blood they soaked his robes.

"Who is it?" Marlene asked frowning.

"He had a Ravenclaw tie on..." Anne said, holding up a tie that looked closer to a Gryffindor's. But when you squinted and titled your head, there was definitely some blue.

"Is it...Michael?" Marlene asked quietly.

"Corner?" Neville said with a frown. "No, I don't think so...his nose doesn't look like that."

"Episkey," Al said, waving her wand. The boy's nose jumped halfway across his face with a crack and there was another gasp. "It's Michael," Al muttered grimly. "Alright, everyone clear the table while I get to work! And Daphne and Neville, take notes for us in Charms." Everyone moved back and away as Al set Michael on the table. Then, she rushed into the potions room and grabbed three vials of blood replenisher, a tin of bruising paste, and five vials of wound-cleaning potion.

She started on the head, mending the shattered skull with, "Barackium immendo," before cleaning each of the wounds and healing them shut with episkey. It then occurred to her that blood was dripping onto the floor, and it didn't take her long to find the source. There were tears littering his robes, and a large gash down the side of his abdomen, clearly done by magic. As Al cleaned it up and performed a Vulnera Sanenteur or four, the spectators slowly filtered out for breakfast and lessons until she was alone with Michael.

He had a shattered knee cap and a broken wrist, and halfway through her free period Al had finally closed every wound she could find, and mended every broken bone that he had, bandaging each one for support. Gingerly, she lifted his head and poured the three blood replenishers down his throat. She decided to leave it at that unless he still looked pale. She had just finished applying the bruising paste to his face when he stirred. "That stinks," he mumbled.

"Yeah," Al said casually, "It's dragon dung."

"You're hilarious," Michael said, squinting at her.

"I know," Al said with a laugh, "Did they use the Cruciatus Curse?" Slowly, he nodded. "Right, I'll get you two robustness potions. And you still look a bit peaky, so I'll get you another blood replenisher. Don't move." She returned moments later with two vials of orange potion and one crimson red one, and helped him swallow them.

"Right," she said, finally sitting down after helping him into an armchair. "You had a fractured skull, wrist and knee cap, and a large wound on your right side. They're the main ones. I want you to rest until next Monday, either in here or in your dorm." He made to interrupt. "Madame Pomfrey would have you in for at least three times that - should I do that instead?" He furrowed his brow and shook his head. "Good. Now, what exactly happened?"

"The Carrows had one of the first-year Ravenclaws chained up in the dungeons," Michael said, and Al couldn't help but feel a bit sick. "Timothy his name is. He promised me he'd let a member of the DA know he's OK..."

Al shook her head, "I've not seen a Timothy, but then I've been in here all morning. Neville or Daphne might have heard something."

Michael nodded, "I was trying to set him free when the Carrows caught me, and they just left me down there. Obviously I was in a bit of a state and I had to get all the way up here..."

The bell went and Daphne and Neville came in, each sporting brand-new black eyes, but laughing nonetheless. "Oh Michael, thank Merlin you're alright!" Daphne said, handing Al some charms notes.

"How was Dark Arts?" Al asked, shoving her arithmancy things into her bag.

"Great!" chorused Daphne and Neville. "I asked him if the Cruciatus Curse was the only magic he could do," Neville said. "Which Daphne thought was the most hilarious thing in the world."

"Oh, Al," Daphne said with a grin, "You should've seen his face. Over-reacted a bit though."

"I can see that," Al said, swinging her bag over her shoulder, "It'll be because I asked him the same thing the other day. Bruise paste's in the cupboard, just make sure you put it back."

"Thanks, Al!" the pair of them said as she headed off to her lesson.

*****

Al had just finished eating her lunch. Now she had to find Flitwick, check on Michael, swap out the books in her bag, and head off to Transfiguration. "Oh, Professor!" she called as she saw Flitwick leaving the staffroom with McGonagall. Both of them turned and watched as she approached. "I'm really sorry I missed your lesson this morning. I was-" she looked around and lowered her voice. "-I was looking after Michael Corner."

"You were what?" Alecto said, coming up behind her.

"Such a pleasure to see you again," Al said, gritting her teeth and gripping her wand, "I was just saying I had some concerns about one of my peers. I saw him this morning - he was in quite a state. I don't suppose you or your brother had anything to do with it?"

"Michael Corner, I heard you say," Alecto said with a sickening grin, "He had a detention last night. He was in quite a lot of trouble. And while I've got you here-" and before Al could do anything, she pressed her finger to her Dark Mark.

"You idiot," Al said softly, faking pity, "I'll be long gone by the time he gets here."

"You're going to let the other students feel his wrath?" Alecto taunted, "Not very head girl of you is it?" She knew she'd touched a nerve there. Al didn't care.

"Fine," Al said.

"Dursley!" McGonagall exclaimed.

"No, it's fine," Al said, "I've been dying for a decent duelling opponent anyway. These two only know the one spell."

Alecto let out a mirthful laugh, "You think you could duel the Dark Lord? Foolish girl!"

"I won't," she said softly, "Not unless it comes down to it."

"Dursley," McGonagall said, laying a hand on her shoulder, "Please...just think..."

"It's alright, Professor," Al assured her, "Just get people to their common rooms and out the way." McGonagall's lips set themselves in a thin line. She nodded once before rushing away with Flitwick. Al turned back to Alecto. "Lead the way."