Chapter 166 - The End

Happy reading :)

The dirt was cold and hard against Al's face, but she did not move. Instead, she let her eyes flutter open microscopically, peering through her eyelashes. "I do not require assistance, Bellatrix," Voldemort said, climbing to his feet. It seemed he had fallen too. "You. Check that she's dead."

Footsteps neared Al and she dared not breath. It was only moments now before her pounding heartbeat gave her away. But she would fight this time. She could kill him now. She would kill him now.

A pair of hands, far gentler than Al had thought, found their way to Al's chest, long hair tickling her face. "Draco," whispered the voice of Narcissa Malfoy, so quietly it was barely audible. "Is he alive?"

"Yes," Al breathed.

The hands were withdrawn. "Dead." There were cheers and claps from the crowds. Cheers of delight that the great Al Dursley was dead at their master's hand.

"Crucio!" Voldemort cried. Al's body flew into the air, writhing and contorting, but no pain came, and she soon dropped to the ground again. Up and down, and up and down until finally: "Our enemies are defeated! We march on Hogwarts, and declare our victory!" More cheers, more shouts of delight.

Al felt herself be lifted high above the ground by magic, but still she did not move. She could hear footsteps and the rustling of trees, felt faint taps as the Death Eaters below pelted her with stones. They reached the edge of the forest, and Al knew this because the lower branches no longer brushed her face.

"Harry Potter and Alexandra Dursley are dead," Voldemort's voice said, echoing across the grounds. "They died while running away from you. Come out, and I bring you her body as proof. Come out and kneel before me in surrender, and you will be forgiven. We will build a new world together." They continued their walk, and Al saw that the skies were now lighting, no longer the inky shades, but now a twilight blue.

Then, the Death Eaters stopped their walk. Al was thrown the large distance to the floor, but resisted grunting in pain or shock. And then there was a cry. A wail of pain that Al had not heard before, and was surprised to do so. "NO!" Molly Weasley shouted, and Al heard Bellatrix cackle. She squinted again and saw the survivors now filling the doorway and the front steps.

"No!"

"Al!"

"AL!" Neville, Anne and Daphne cried out for her, and she wanted to get up and embrace them. She once again felt the restraint she'd had the day of her funeral at the end of fourth year. She couldn't. More and more people cried out, wanting for Al to stir, wanting it all to be false. How could the Boy Who Lived have died?

"SILENCE!" Voldemort roared, and quiet fell upon the grounds. "It is over. Harry Potter is dead! He was killed, violently and irreparably by my blasting curse as he tried to escape the grounds." There was a scuffle, and a bang and Neville had stepped forward and then been disarmed. "And who might you be?"

Bellatrix laughed harshly. "It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord. The one that gave the Carrows so much trouble!"

"You are pureblood, no?" Voldemort said, "And you show bravery. You would make a very valuable Death Eater."

"I'll join you when hell freezes over!" Neville shouted, "Dumbledore's Army!" There were cheers and cries and Al wanted nothing more than to join in.

"Very well," Voldemort said, waving his wand. Something like a broken bird soared from a smashed window and landed in his hand. "You will set the example as to what happens to those who continue to oppose me." He placed the Sorting Hat on Neville's head and set it alight. Neville's piercing screams rang out as he was set on fire.

Everything happened in one blur. There were cries of warfare from the faraway boundary, reinforcements coming to Hogwarts' aid. Hooves and bows of centaurs filled the air, and the Death Eaters broke ranks in a panic. Neville drew from the Sorting Hat the Sword of Gryffindor as Al jumped up, and there were gasps of surprise and cheers of joy.

The snake lunged at Neville, and in one fluid motion, he sliced the head of Nagini straight off, sending it spiralling through the air. Voldemort roared in fury, and Al sent him flying into his Death Eaters, the force of her wandless spell sending them both backwards. Two sets of arms picked her up and she was pulled into the Entrance Hall by Ron and Hermione, who already had their wands drawn.

Al drew her own and shoved the invisibility cloak into her pocket. She saw Charlie Weasley, Slughorn, and Theo at the front of the group of newcomers as the battle raged on once more. Al hexed every Death Eater she could, but they were being thwarted now. A small giant, hippogriffs, and thestrals all pelted the giants, and now the house elves had joined too, led by Kreacher, Harry's old elf. He looked cleaner now, but no less ferocious.

But Al was not focused on a single duel. She was looking for Voldemort. All around her she saw Hogwartians flooring Death Eaters and Ministry personnel. Ron and Hermione took down Greyback, Theo and Ernie took down Avery, Flitwick was battling Yaxley, and in the centre of the room were Voldemort and Bellatrix.

Bellatrix had four on one, with Ginny, Daphne, Luna, and Marlene all battling their hardest, which was really quite hard. But Bellatrix matched them. Voldemort meanwhile fought McGonagall, Slughorn, and Kingsley all at once, and winning by the looks of it.

And now, Molly Weasley stepped forward, and Bellatrix laughed as they duelled, the raw power causing the ground to smoke between them. Bellatrix taunted, while Molly fought with such motherly ferocity Al was amazed she didn't combust. And then Molly hit her with a curse, directly in the chest. For a moment Bellatrix's eyes widened, and then she fell. The watching crowd cheered and Voldemort screamed, sending his three opponents flying through the air.

Al stepped forward before he could so much as think about attacking Molly, and Voldemort's eyes narrowed. The two began to circle each other, like lions building up to pounce. Golden light flooded the room as the sun rose into the sky. "No one step in," Al warned, "I will kill him."

The corners of his mouth twitched. "Alexandra Dursley," he said softly, "You are not greater than me. There will be no lucky escape this time. You're out of luck. You're out of love."

"No I'm not," Al said, equally soft, equally sinister. She saw several students shudder at her unfamiliar tone. "What could you say about love when you don't understand it? Tom Riddle, born from a love potion, an obsession, and left an orphan. No friends, no family, no great love. Only isolation and darkness. I pity you."

Voldemort laughed. "Pity me? Me, who has pushed the boundaries of magic further than anyone could imagine?"

"People imagined," Al said, "Me among them. We were wise enough not to act."

"You cannot beat me!" Voldemort snarled, "I have the Elder Wand!"

"Do you?" Al asked calmly, despite the thunder of blood in her brain. "Are you quite sure?"

"What is this?" spat Voldemort, "I hold it in my hand!".

"The Elder Wand is mine," Al announced.

"Lies," Voldemort said, seething with rage.

"Let's see then," Al said. She threw her wand to the floor with a hollow clatter and a gasp rippled round the room. "That wand is mine, and it will not kill me. But if you're so sure...let's see."

Voldemort hesitated. "Avada kedavra!" he shrieked. Al raised her hands and formed a shield with her soul magic. It took every ounce of her strength, every fibre of her will, every memory of George, Sirius, Remus and Harry. But the green light stopped. It formed a ball in front of Al's face. And then, with everything she had, the ball shrank into the fine point of a curse.

It writhed against Al's magic, pulling towards her, but it couldn't. Al looked up into Voldemort's terrified red eyes. Then, she pushed the ball forwards and it shot away from her, hitting him in the chest. He dropped to the floor.