Chapter 138 - Snape's New Rules

:)

 The prefects slowly trickled in, while Al made light conversation with Ernie, Snape still nagging her in the back of her head. "I think we both know this year's going to be a bit different," Ernie said, "But you always seem to know what you're doing, so I'll listen to what you say. We need to be a team."

 "Thanks Ernie," Al said, trying not to remind herself that that was the whole reason he was picked, "I agree. I'm going to brief the prefects and tell them not to go to staff members."

 "Not even the heads of houses?" Ernie asked, aghast.

 "Who do they have to report to?" Al asked and realisation dawned on Ernie's face.

 "Snape," he said, "Right."

 Finally the train set off, and Al was pleased to see that among the new fifth years was Anne, Ernie's cousin. "Alright," Al said, standing up, "I'm sure you all know that this year is not going to be normal, and we don't know how long these new measures will be in place-"

 "They're permanent, aren't they?" one of the Ravenclaws asked.

 "If you actually believe that you might as well leave now," Al told him, and he shut his mouth. "It is not only our responsibility to set a good example, but also to protect the students of Hogwarts. Severus Snape and the Carrows are Death Eaters. They have all attacked me in the past, and would not blink if they were told to attack other students. We're not asking you to risk your lives, or do anything stupid; you don't even need to stand up to them. But make sure you're offering support to anyone who is victimised by them, or send them to me or Ernie. If you yourself are worried, the same-"

 There was a loud crack behind them, and Al turned to see two large Death Eaters had apparated onto the train. They drew the door back, their wands pointed at Al. "You're coming with us, Dursley," the one in front said.

 "Sorry," Al said coolly, "It seems we only run into each other when I'm already preoccupied. I'm free next Saturday though if you want to-" She was cut off when he fired a stunning spell at her, that she blocked easily almost laughing. He really thought he could take her? A few of the prefects gasped and even drew their own wands. She conjured the white flames - making sure to think about George - and threw him into the window. It smashed, and he tumbled out onto the ground outside. The students closest to the window leaned out, looking round at him.

 The other Death Eater had run down the train, and students that had leaned out were thrown backwards into their compartments. "Stupefy!" Al shouted and he crumpled to the floor. She picked him up with her flames again and threw him out the same window, which Ernie then fixed.

 "You alright?" he asked, checking if there were anymore intruders.

 "Yeah, fine," she told him with a smile. "Everything's alright," she called down the train, "It's all under control." A few people gave her confused stares or looks of amazement, but most just retreated back to their seats.

 "Luke hit his head!" A Ravenclaw fourth year called, and Al headed to the compartment. There was a boy lying on the floor with blood running everywhere and his friends around him. Al did a silent ferula spell and conjured up a bandage, wrapping it around his head.

 "I'll send an owl to Madame Pomfrey and she'll meet you in the Entrance Hall," she told the compartment, "If you need anything else I'll be in compartment A." They nodded their thanks and Al headed back down the train, siphoning the blood off her hands and sleeves as she did.

 "What was that?" one of the Gryffindor prefects asked when she got back, "That spell?"

 "That was the reason I've told you to come to me or Ernie if anything goes wrong," Al said, "If a student is in danger, we will deal with it."

 "Can you do it too then?" another Gryffindor asked Ernie.

 "Well, I can't quite do that-" he began, going pink.

 "Ernie is a highly accomplished wizard nevertheless," Al said with a smile, and he went even pinker.

 "Right," Ernie said, picking up a stack of paper, "These are your patrol rotas, and your common room passwords are written on there too. Only share it with members of your own house. Fifth years, you need to take the first years to their dorms tonight. Any questions?"

*****

 There were no disturbances for the rest of the train journey, and Neville popped his head round to say hello for a little bit. Al made sure Luke got to Madame Pomfrey alright, before heading into the feast. Snape (the git) was sat in the headmaster's chair, looking as despicable and irritating as ever. Several of the students glared up at him, and not one person was smiling, instead whispering among themselves.

 He stood up after the sorting, and where Dumbledore would have let them eat first, Snape did not. "I am sure you're all aware that there have been changes to school policy since you were last here. The first, is staffing appointments. After the resignation of Professor Burbage, Professor Alecto Carrow will take her place teaching the now compulsory class of Muggle Studies. Professor Amycus Carrow will be taking up the post of Dark Arts." Wow, not even bothering to call it defence. "Professors Carrow will also take up the posts of deputy heads, and are heads of discipline. All teachers and prefects will refer you to them as a result of any rule breaking." Al's eyes flicked over to where McGonagall was sat, looking stony faced.

 "Secondly, all student organisations will be disbanded henceforth-" he paused while angry whispers fluttered around the room, and many people turned to look at Al, as Duelling Captain, who was glaring at Snape. "-unless reinstated by a teacher." Al maintained her glare, and he actually looked over at her. She supposed Flitwick might set it up again.

 "Finally, it seems prudent to remind you all that any communication with Undesirables as declared by the Ministry will be punishable by imprisonment, and you will be expelled from Hogwarts school." He looked again at Al. "You may eat."

 Conversation immediately broke out among the students, and Al began talking about sixth-year and NEWT advice to a group of girls in the year below her. She eyed Theo and Daphne further down the table, talking quietly to themselves. Dessert rolled around, and they were nearing the end of the feast, when the Carrows stood up and began walking along either side of the Slytherin table. Al put her knife and fork down and picked up her wand, aware that the noise had died significantly, and that most people were watching for what they would do.

 The woman, Alecto continued to walk towards the door, but Amycus stopped and bent down, talking quietly in her ear from behind her. She continued to face forwards. "Put that away and follow us now. The headmaster would like a word." Keeping her face blank, her eyes flicked up to the staff table, where Snape was watching for her reaction. His eyebrows twitched, a minuscule detail that most would have missed.

 Al heaved a sigh. Did she trust Snape? It was now or never. Slowly and carefully she put her wand in her pocket and stood up, leading the way down the table and aware that Amycus was following behind her. She reached Alecto, who smiled a warped and crooked smile, before leading the way through the empty corridors until they reached the headmaster's office.