Chapter 98 - Alchemy

Al got up early the next morning to go for her run, and was very glad she did because it was a beautiful morning, the highland air being crisp and fresh. She arrived back at the dorms at seven-thirty and got showered and dressed just in time to leave for breakfast with Daphne and Theo. They ate an amazing cooked breakfast, before Snape came along with their timetables. Daphne was cleared to do Charms, Transfiguration, Herbology, Defence and Ancient Runes, and Theo signed up for Charms, Transfiguration, Defence, Ancient Runes, Potions and Arithmancy. "Oh we've got Ancient Runes now," Daphne said, "We'll see you at lunch, Al," she promised and the two of them sped off out the Great Hall.

 "Dursley," Snape said, impatiently. Al looked up at him, still reminded of the month locked in that cellar, despite far worse things happening since then.

 "Alchemy, Arithmancy, Transfiguration, Charms, Potions and Magical Theory please," Al said.

 "You might want to consider another option as well," Snape said, "Alchemy is only a one year course."

 "Is it a whole NEWT?" Al asked.

 "As opposed to..." Snape taunted.

 "I'll just do those ones, thank you, Professor," Al said politely.

 "Not Defence Against the Dark Arts?" Snape asked, raising an eyebrow.

 "Who will I have next year?" Al retorted, trying and failing to sound polite. No one around her spoke.

 "Detention, Dursley," Snape said and Al sighed. She hadn't even done anything. "Tonight, my office." He tapped his wand on the parchment. "And you're cleared." Al peered down at the lessons she had today. Double Alchemy, Arithmancy, a free period and then double Potions. That would make a pretty good Monday if it wasn't for the detention she already had.

 Al headed for the exit, but a hand grabbed her wrist. She turned around and saw Draco stood there, his eyes pleading. "Let go of me," she hissed, pulling at her hand, but his grip was iron tight.

 "Al," Draco said, "Just listen-" There was a bang and he stumbled back. Al lowered her wand, the stinging hex having worked. She turned to leave when she heard him say, "Aguamenti!" and found herself soaking wet. People were watching now, and several teachers had stood up.

 "Leave me alone," Al said, turning around again.

 "No," came the simple reply. Al's face grew hot with fury. She knew he was goading her, and she shouldn't turn around. But she so wanted to.

 "What is your problem?" Al shouted, "You. Are. A. Coward! Why won't you just drop it and leave me alone?" McGonagall was rushing towards them now, but Al wanted an answer.

 "Because I love you!" All movement and chatter in the hall stopped. Al stared at him, open-mouthed.

 "I've known you for five years," Al finally said slowly, "Why are you only telling me this now?" Every cold word she spoke hung in the air, and she had everyone's undivided attention.

 "Because-" Draco began, almost teary.

 "Because it's not true!" Al shouted, "Because you are a lying COWARD!"

 "That is enough!" McGonagall hissed, ushering them out, "Ten points each from Slytherin! Now go to your lessons!"

 Al rushed off to get the books she needed and then headed up to the seventh floor corridor, where a few Gryffindors milled around, but it was otherwise empty. She located the correct classroom and let herself in, taking a seat in the third row by a window, checked she was alone and burst into tears.

 After about five minutes, Al looked around the room. It was laid-out like a Potions classroom, with stools and raised desks instead of the usual desks. The only difference was the lack of gruesome animal parts in jars, and the sunlight that flooded through the windows. The bell went, and still no one had arrived. The corridor outside grew silent, and Al checked her timetable. She was definitely in the right room.