Chapter 45 - Preparing for the Yule Ball

Crushes time!! And thank you so much for 3k reads!! It means so much to me :)

 "One moment, before you go," McGonagall called at the end of Transfiguration as the bell went for lunch, "As part of the Triwizard Tournament, Hogwarts will be hosting the Yule Ball on Christmas Day. Formal dress robes must be worn and I expect everyone on their best behaviour. The ball will only be open to fourth-years and above, and will start at eight o'clock. Any questions?" No one seemed to have any that McGonagall could answer. So the Slytherins and the Ravenclaws all got up to leave, "Dursley - a word please," McGonagall called.

 "We'll wait for you outside," Daphne promised and Al approached the desk.

 "Dursley," McGonagall began, "The champions and their partners will be opening the ball with a dance-"

 "I don't dance," Al said quickly, as though if she got it in early it would excuse her.

 It didn't. "I had a similar reaction from Mr Potter. You will dance at the Yule Ball. It's a traditional part of the Triwizard tournament," McGonagall said coldly.

 "What if I can't find a partner in time?" Al tried.

 "You will find a partner," McGonagall told her, "It is your responsibility as a representative of the school." Al slouched out the room in a huff.

 "What was that about?" Draco asked a now very moody Al on their way to dinner.

 "Needtofindadancepartner," Al mumbled.

 Theo laughed out loud at her misfortune - no one could imagine the disaster that would be Al trying to waltz, "I-I'll be your partner. If you need me to," Draco offered, tugging at his ear.

 Al straightened up, "You're alright thanks, Draco," she told him, "I'm going solo."

 Daphne looked gutted, "But - who will you dance with?"

 "If I can't find a partner, they can't make me dance," Al said smugly. There was no way - no way - she was waltzing at that ball. Not a chance.

*****

 Al was heading out of Charms the next day with Daphne and the others when someone called out from behind her, "Excuse moi, Meez Dursley?" Al turned around to see one of the Beauxbatons boys from the Halloween feast.

 "Yes?" Al asked hesitantly as Daphne began giggling furiously beside her.

 "My name eez Pierre. I was wondering if you would like to come to ze ball with me?" he asked politely.

 "Oh...um, I'm sorry Pierre," she said, feeling bad, "I'm going by myself."

 He looked a little upset, but then smiled, "I hope you enjoy eet anyway, Meez Dursley," he said, before turning and walking back to his friends.

 Daphne looked heartbroken, "I...I can't believe...why did you say no?"

 "I am not dancing!" she warned through gritted teeth as Theo began to laugh again.

*****

 "Hey, Al!" one of the sixth-year Ravenclaws called out as she was packing away the kit from the Advanced Duelling club. They were almost ready to introduce other spells and Al was very pleased with the progress.

 "Hi! Uh - it's Thomas, isn't it?" she asked with a smile.

 He looked surprised that she knew him, "Uh...yeah. I was wondering if you wanted to go to the ball with me?" he asked and Al sighed.

 "Uh, sorry Thomas. I'm going by myself. Thanks though."

 He looked quite disheartened, "Ok, well, I'll see you next week," he called.

 "Yeah, see you."

*****

 "So, Al?" Higgins said as he slid next to her on a sofa in the common room. Al rolled her eyes - she was just getting to the bit in her book about water charms.

 "I'm not going with anyone, Higgins," she told him firmly, "So don't even bother asking."

 "What, not even me?" he asked, grabbing hold of her knee and sliding his hand up her leg.

 "Especially not you," Al warned as she grabbed his hand roughly and moved it back to the sofa. This didn't seem to put him off though, as he moved up the sofa, closer to her. She slammed her book shut, "God you're such a slime," she said, getting up and heading to her dorm.

 "Filthy mudblood," he said to her as she walked away. A prefect looked up and was going to interject, but Al acted first.

 She had her wand out before he'd even finished, "Verruculus!" she shouted, and dozens of warts sprang up on his face. Now, where was she?

*****

 Al headed up the dungeon steps with Draco, Theo and Daphne. Draco had decided to go with Pansy Parkinson (God knows why), and Theo and Daphne were going together, 'as friends'. Al didn't believe them - she thought it was very cute.

 They arrived in the Entrance Hall around the same time as the Durmstrang boys, who all marched in and then stood together. Al spotted Harry from across the room with one of the Gryffindor girls from their year. "Champions over here," McGonagall called and Al felt her stomach drop a little - what if her plan didn't work?

 McGonagall looked them all over and then her eyes landed on Al, "Dursley, where is your dance partner?" she asked, already exasperated.

 "I couldn't find one in time, Professor," she lied, feeling the corners of her mouth twitch, "I guess that means I can't dance with the others."

 McGonagall looked like she wanted to strangle Al, but then got a hold of herself, "Well...never mind that," Al smirked at Harry, who rolled his eyes playfully. But McGonagall was scanning the room, "Ah, yes. Mr Weasley!" she called.

 Al's stomach really dropped this time. She was not dancing with the Weasel. She had half a mind to bash her head in on the steps before that could happen. "Yes, Professor?" a voice asked from behind her. Was it the Weasel's? She wasn't sure and she didn't dare look.

 "You will be Dursley's partner tonight," McGonagall informed him, "No buts. Champions, line up please." Al glanced up at her partner and heaved a sigh of relief. It wasn't the Weasel - a Weasel, yes - but not the Weasel.

 "Hey there," George said, tipping her an imaginary hat as they lined up at the back, "I'm your last resort then?" he asked, looking amused.

 "Actually I turned down a few people - I was trying to avoid dancing," she explained.

 "Ah yes - I heard about the Higgins incident," George said, "May I ask what spell you used?"

 "No way," Al said. She dreaded to think of the damage that would ensue.

 "Damn, worth a try," George replied with a smile as the doors opened, "Shall we?" he asked, offering his arm.