Chapter 78 - Draco's Secret

None of you will like me after this :) *rubs hands together while cackling*

 Al hopped off the Hogwarts Express at platform nine and three quarters, and was about to head through the barrier when a hand grabbed her shoulder. "Are you going to visit the Weasleys?" Hermione whispered in her ear.

 "Uh-yeah," Al said, lowering her voice, "We could head over together?"

 "That's what I was going to suggest," Hermione said. Al cast one last glance at the platform, where Draco was looking thoroughly miffed with his Father. He pointed angrily in Al's direction, who turned around and scurried through the barrier with Hermione.

 The journey to Grimmauld Place on the Knight Bus was one that made Al feel a little bit sick, but they arrived within twenty minutes and knocked on the door. It was Sirius that answered it and pulled Al into a hug, banishing both their trunks to their rooms. "The Weasleys and Harry are just at St Mungo's," he told them as they headed into the kitchen.

 "Oh," Hermione said, "Well I think I'll go and make a start on Snape's Potions homework." Al and Sirius made similar retching noises and carried on into the kitchen.

 "So," Sirius said, "You told Dumbledore about the Ministry meeting?"

 "Oh yeah," Al said, looking round, "He did ask. When are they getting back?"

 "They just left," Sirius said, "They'll be a couple of hours yet."

 "Great," Al said, standing up, "I think I'm going to cook dinner."

 "The muggle way?" Sirius asked, "Have you cooked before?"

 "Nope," Al said, "Wanna help?" Sirius only grinned and nodded before rolling his sleeves up.

*****

 One by one, the Weasleys stepped out the fireplace, finishing with Harry. "What's that smell?" Mrs Weasley asked Al, peering around.

 "Oh - er... I'm cooking dinner," Al said, "Lasagne. I figured you might want a rest," she added to Mrs Weasley.

 Mrs Weasley drew herself up to her fullest. "Well, that was very thoughtful, dear, thank you." Al beamed at her, proud that she'd finally done something else right, before turning to finish the washing up.

 "What are you doing here anyway?" Al turned and saw the Weasel glaring at her, seething with pure hatred.

 "Ron-" Harry tried to interrupt, but the Weasel carried on.

 "No Harry! She's spent the whole term sucking up to Umbridge! And then she has the guts to show up here!" the Weasel spat. Al looked at Mrs Weasley, to see she had resumed her usual grumpy look that she reserved especially for Al.

 "Ron-" Harry tried again.

 "I'm sorry Harry, I get she's your cousin but she's been horrible, and I-" Ron began, but this time Al interrupted.

 "If you'd let Harry finish you'd hear him say that I was deliberately sucking up to Umbridge to get an advantage against the enemy!" Al said, raising her voice. She heard the portrait of Sirius's Ma begin screaming, but no one went to shut her up. "And it worked! I've sat in on the Minister's meetings and gained information for the Order! I've passed information about the DA and Umbridge's detentions-" she saw Harry pale, "-to the students that need to know about it! So yeah, I might've seemed horrible, but only when Umbridge was around!" Al finished triumphantly, to see the Weasel looking at her, shocked. She supposed he was still sour about the quidditch chant, but she wasn't stupid enough to say it.

 "Well..." Ron said, trying and failing to think of an excuse, "Well, I'm sorry. I didn't realise."

 Al was surprised that he'd actually apologised. She'd expected him to huff-off. "Thank you," she said shortly, before putting the garlic bread in the oven with the lasagne.

 Sirius rushed off with Mrs Weasley to shut up the portraits and the Weasel, Harry and Ginny filed out, presumably to go and find Hermione. There was a scuffling sound behind Al, who had returned to the sink, followed by Fred saying, "I'm going to go and have a look in Regulus's room." Leaving Al alone with George.

 "How's your Pa?" Al asked after a few minutes of relative silence.

 "He's getting better," George said tonelessly, "the healers are optimistic."

 "I'm pleased," Al said. "Look-"

 "I'm not sorry," George said, "If you want me to say I am then you'll be disappointed. Malfoy had it coming."

 Al opened and closed her mouth wordlessly, not really sure what to say. How could he say that? She hadn't even done anything! "What do you want me to say?" Al asked quietly, but angrily, "You beat up my best friend!"

 "He was being a git!" George told her.

 "So shrug him off!" Al reasoned, "It was just a few words!"

 "But it's not," George said, raising his voice, "He's been like that since the day we met! Don't you remember?"

 "Of course I do," Al said, "And he was a git - but he's better now! He's nicer! If you just gave him a chance-"

 "He's no better now!" George shouted, "Constantly, he torments students, abuses his prefect badge. Just the other week he tried to get Hagrid sacked by outright lying to Umbridge. He shoves first years around! And every chance he gets he spits on my family name!"

 George finished, breathing heavily with anger, his eyes wide in exasperation. Sirius's Ma started screaming again. "You're-you're wrong..." Al muttered, "Draco's not like that...he wouldn't..."

 "Not with you around he wouldn't," George said lowering his voice, "He cares too much about what you think. But you know I wouldn't hurt someone you care about without good reason...you know I wouldn't."

 Al felt her eyes begin to well up, "Yeah," she whispered, "I know. I'm sorry." George crossed the room and pulled her into a hug, rubbing her back and planting a kiss on her forehead.

 "I'm going to go upstairs with Fred," he said, "You coming?"

 Al shook her head, "No, I need to keep an eye on dinner." George nodded and left the room, almost bumping into Mrs Weasley, who hissed something about shouting. Al didn't really hear. All this time, Al thought Draco would be nicer. He said he would, over and over...their argument in first year, and when she was petrified in second year.

 But more things made sense now. How the Weasel so willingly hated them. The tormenting Draco had done on their Hogsmeade trip in third year. And last year, when he'd sported a Potter Stinks badge without a second thought.

 Al didn't know what to think. She supposed she was mainly disappointed in Draco for going behind her back. But also herself for not spotting it sooner. Merlin, she could be so stupid sometimes...