Chapter 156 - Taunting the Opposition

Thanks so much for all your continued support! I remember when this story had about 100 reads and that was super exciting. Now it's got over 80k, so thanks to all of you :)

They were all gathered round the wireless, awaiting the airing of Potterwatch. There were twelve students there, and Al was pacing behind them nervously. After a warning look from Daphne, she settled in a chair from the table. "Got it!" Neville announced, and complete silence fell in the room.

"...Welcome back to Potterwatch!" Lee's voice said. "Today we have a very special announcement from Pals of Potter, but first: those of us taken in our fight. The first is Dobby the house elf, brought to a secure Order location in the late hours of Wednesday night. He died upon arrival after being stabbed by notorious Death Eater, Bellatrix Lestrange. With him were Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, who were worn out but otherwise unharmed. Also Luna Lovegood, Griphook the Goblin, Mr Olivander, and Dean Thomas." There were whoops and cheers for their classmates. "Now, a minute's silence for Dobby the house elf." After a minute of unending quiet, Lee spoke again. "Thank you, here to tell us more we have Romulus with Pals of Potter."

"Hi, River," Remus's voice said.

"So, Romulus, you've been to the secure location where Ron and Hermione are hidden," Lee said, "What exactly did they say? Is Harry Potter still out there and fighting?"

"Ron and Hermione have assured me that Harry is very much alive and breathing," Remus said, and Al heaved a heavy sigh of relief, but not for the reasons everyone thought. "He is fighting the Chief Death Eater with every power he can muster, and they assure me they have some good leads in their ongoing mission. I urge everyone once again to hold their faith in Harry. He will do this, and so will we."

"Thanks for that, Romulus," Lee said, "Another important announcement: after the discovery that Ron Weasley is indeed up and at it and is not ill with spattergroit, the Weasley family have successfully gone into hiding. I know this is a relief for many of our listeners, but in particular Ginny Weasley. If you're listening, Ginny, your family are alright, and you will be too." Al looked over and saw Anne wrapping her arms around Ginny soothingly.

"Finally," Lee said, "We have means of celebration her at Potterwatch! Royal, if you'll do the honours."

Kingsley cleared his throat. "The Ministry of Magic announced this morning that it is a criminal offence to listen to, or associate with, the radio broadcast show Potterwatch. A minimum sentence of fifteen years in Azkaban, and confiscation of property will be awarded to any known associates. If you have any information, the Department of Magical Law Enforcement urge you to come forward." There was an eruption of applause and cheering, and on the wireless there were party poppers and whistles and a chant of: "WE'RE IN THE DAILY PROPHET!"

"That's all we've got time for today, folks," Lee said cheerily, "If you can party, by all means do it on our behalf. Cheerio!"

*****

The door swung open and Neville appeared, carrying a covered pot full of what smelled like stew, and a fresh loaf of bread, along with two butterbeers. "Abe sent me with these," he said with a grin as he set them on the table. "And Ginny found Arthur alright. They've said they'll send a patronus when they're safe."

"That's good," Al said, helping herself to the stew. It was just the two of them staying at Hogwarts for Easter, and Neville had only offered to stay because it meant they could plan what to do about Voldemort once they graduated. "We'd be good at rallying the troops," Al said, "But I think we should join Ron and Hermione."

Neville nodded. "We should come back here every now and then to check on people. Who are you and Ernie going to recommend as head boy and girl?"

"I was gonna say Ginny," Al said, "But I've got a feeling Snape wouldn't be happy about that." Neville snorted. "Marlene Bennet would be a good candidate. She can duel, she's kind, sympathetic to the rebellion..."

"Duelling's a job requirement now, huh?" Neville asked with a chuckle.

Al shrugged. "Pretty much - either that or healing. Not sure about head boy though...we might have to ask Marlene what she thinks."

"Sounds like a plan," Neville said, raising his bottle of butterbeer. "Cheers."

*****

The door to the Room of Requirement slammed shut, and Neville appeared, breathless and red in the face. Everyone who had returned from Easter looked at him wide-eyed. "What did you do?" Al demanded.

"Carrows..." Neville panted as Daphne rushed over, "Pushed them a bit far...out there..."

"Al!" Daphne warned, but she already had her wand drawn and was headed into the corridor. She looked around into the silent world of Hogwarts. It seemed greyer than usual...like something had changed in the magic around them. And then around the corner came the two lumpy Carrows, each as breathless as Neville and with their wands drawn.

"How's your disciplining going?" she taunted. Excitement pumped through her veins - she'd been looking forward to a duel with these two since Christmas. They narrowed their eyes at her, wands twitching by their sides. "Scared to duel a seventeen year old?" Al asked maliciously.

"Which way did Longbottom go?" Alecto asked her.

"Longbottom?" she asked casually, "Not seen him. Didn't Mouldy-Voldy set you two a different task though...something about a meeting..."

"How dare you befoul the Dark Lord's name like that!" Amycus roared.

"But you knew who I was talking about," Al pointed out.

"Crucio!" shrieked Alecto, but Al dodged it with ease.

"Tut tut," she said with a grin, "You're going to have to try harder than that - or do you only know the one spell?" Amycus fired a Cruciatus Curse at her as well. Al looked him up and down. "Apparently so..."

And then they were off. Al fired every kind of spell imaginable, although most things weren't lethal. Not unless they actually hit their mark. Not once did the Carrows use anything other than the Cruciatus Curse, nor did they so much as skim the air around her. It was pathetic really. "Enough!" shouted a voice and Al saw Snape had shown up, but the three of them ignored him. "I said, enough!" The Carrows looked at him and were blown backwards off their feet with Al's impedimenta. "You," Snape seethed, pointing at Al, "Come with me, now."

Al shrugged and followed him, walking past a panicked looking McGonagall and Flitwick, who she grinned at. "Severus, is everything-" McGonagall began.

"I've diffused the situation, Minerva, Fillius," Snape drawled, "Your presence is no longer required."

Al coughed. "Git," she mumbled. She watched as McGonagall and Flitwick bit their lips to stop from laughing.

"Something you'd like to say, Dursley?" Snape asked venomously.

"Was that question rhetorical?" she asked, a sly glint in her eye.

"Yes," Snape said, "Unless the answer was no."

"Right," Al said with a grin. "I won't answer then." She couldn't help it - that duel had brought something out of her that she'd suppressed since Harry's death.

"Go to your common room," Snape ordered. "Now!" Al grinned and mock saluted him, bidding goodbye to Flitwick and McGonagall, before heading in the vague direction of the dungeons with no real intention of visiting her housemates.