Chapter 36: The Garritsen Family

Hey guys! Well, I still have until the 12th for break and ever since I got back from New York I've had some good time to relax and such! Sadly, I only have time to relax until this weekend since my sister has a golf tournament and we all have to go and watch and socialize. Can't wait... Anyways, I hope you enjoy this update I have for you and I'm sorry it took so long! I think I would've had more fun at home then in New York but hey, I spent time with family! I am still writing for My Library of Music and for Against All Odds so expect updates from those! Other than that I hope you all had a wonderful break and get back to school well :) ~ Angel
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT!!!

Chapter 36: The Garritsen Family

With one step into the house, I felt like I had stepped into a different atmosphere. This was the house where I had grown up and spent all my childhood in. I grew into one of the biggest DJ's in this house and with the people that lived in it. I missed my home a lot more then I had known until now. I turned the corner and leaned against the wall as I watched my mother try and reach a jar of peanut butter on the top shelf. I knew she was going to need some help so I walked up next to her, fit my hands around the side of the jar, and pulled it down of the shelf.
She must not have realized that it was me who stepped through the door seeing the expression of happiness and delight upon her face. "Martijn! Ik heb je zo gemist! hoe was de tour? Voel je je beter?(Martin! I have missed you so much! How was your tour? Are you feeling better?)" She said looking at me with a smile of worry. I smiled already expecting this and hugged her tightly.
"Ja alles was goed moeder. We hadden veel plezier en ik voel me beter dankzij Angel( Yes everything was good mother. We had loads of fun and I am feeling better thanks to Angel) ." I said turning around to meet eyes with Angel. She was standing in the doorway with a smile on her face at the mention of her name. My mother looked towards her and smiled saying, "It's so good to finally meet you! I must say your a lot more beautiful then what Martijn over here has been telling me!" She said walking up to Angel and kissing both her cheeks.
My eyes widened suddenly remembering the conversation I had forgotten I had with my mother when Angel and I were dating. Angel smiled and looked at me before returning her gaze downwards. "So would you two like anything to eat or drink? I've already made dinner if you want to eat something. I'm sure Martijn will help you with anything you need Angel. I'm going to go and get Martijn's father down here as well." Mother said looking back at the two of us as she walked up the stairs to all of our rooms.

Angel's P.O.V.

This experience just keeps getting better and better doesn't it! Martin not only told his sister about me but his mother? He told her that I was beautiful. I have no idea how I'm reacting to this but we'll find out later. I wonder if they know what happened as well. At the moment, Martin, Laura, and I were serving ourselves some salmon and rice. I was pretty hungry but more of jet lagged. All this traveling and moving around has got me exhausted. As I put my plate on the table, I hear footsteps approaching and soon enough Martin's mother and father stood in the doorway. "What a pleasure to meet you Angel!" Martijn 's father said crossing both arms in front of his chest.
He resembled my own father but with a friendlier appeal. Martin hugged his father in a very tight hug as I waited behind Martin to greet his father. Usually I only see Dutch people hug in a certain way where one person would hold the other persons neck and the other would put both hands behind the other persons back and squeeze the living daylight out of them, but in a good way. Once Martin stepped out of the way, I smiled while taking Martin's father's hand in a firm and gratifying hand shake. Once we had all gotten our food we sat at the dinner table and began eating. I had to admit Martin's mother cooked really really well!
"How's the salmon?" Martin's mother asked putting a pitcher of water on the table. "Really good moeder!" Martin said next to me smiling with lots of food stuffed in his mouth. I smiled starting to miss my own family, just a little. "How was touring Martijn?"
Martin's father asked setting his glass down on the table. We had all finished eating so I guess this is the part where we get to know each other more. I kind of zoned out while Martin was talking to think back to my own family.
My parents were kind and supportive people but I didn't get along with them as well. I kind of made a promise to myself that when I had my own family I would be closer to my own children because of how lonely I felt as a kid. My brother always looked out for me and we had a sibling bond but he kind of understood that I was a lot different from what my parents thought of me. He understood my dreams and passions and supported me more than my parents ever have.
"So Angel, Martijn told us that you sing for a living. Is that true?" Laura asked leaning forward eager to know. I snapped my head towards her realizing that I was being asked a question and said, "Um well yeah I guess you could say that. I studied interior design but fell back in love with singing." She smiled and said, "That's really cool!" I laughed lightly and looked towards Martin. He was looking at his parents with a smile.
He really did miss his family. He looked like a little boy who had just gotten his first bike. I can see why he was excited now. "Well Angel and Martijn, I don't know about you two but I think we've all had a long day. How about we hit the bunk and talk more tomorrow?" Martin's dad said standing up. "Yeah, we need to figure out the sleeping arrangements as well." Martin said leading Laura and I upstairs. Martin's parents stayed downstairs probably to clean up.
"Okay so I don't want this to be awkward for anyone so let's just get straight to the point. Angel would you like to take my room or would you like to share with Martin?" Laura said standing between two closed doors that I assumed were theirs. "Well, I don't know but I don't want to just take your room or invade Martin's privacy." I said crossing my arms nervously. This is seriously a lot more awkward then intended. "Hmmm...rock paper scissors then?" Martin said raising his eyebrow at his sister.
"You know who's going to win then don't you?" Laura said preparing her fist in her hand. Martin laughed and they decided upon a winner. "Martin won so I guess, if you don't mind sleeping with this shit, then you two will bunk together. I'll see you both tomorrow so good night!" Laura said opening the opposite door and closing it behind her. Martin gave me a smile and turned towards his door. He opened it and stepped forward letting me follow behind him. He had a king size bed in the center of the room, a dresser and closet, but also a small bedroom studio with a mixer to the side. I set my bag down in the corner and turned towards him.
"There is a bathroom down the hall if you'd like to change. I'll change in here." Martin said pointing his finger to the left. Once I had finished changing I walked back to Martin's room and stopped a couple times to see some family photos of him on the wall. I couldn't believe how cute he was as a kid. Unlike most children you would see possible on a bike or with ice cream, Martin was dj'ing in most of the pictures. He was seen beside a deck either wearing headphone or having them hung around his neck. I smiled and continued my way back to Martin's room. The door was open so I assumed he was done changing. I found him unpacking his bag and throwing his clothes into his closet.
"Take whichever side you want, it doesn't matter." Martin said kicking his suitcase into his closet. I took the side closest to the window and said, "Do you have a place for me to charge my phone?" He nodded and pointed to the small outlet located next to his computer. I plugged my phone in and returned to the bed. Martin was on his phone so I climbed in and lay my head away from him. He had turned off the light and only the light of his phone illuminated through the room. I lay there on my side with my eyes closed but my mind wide awake.

Martin's P.O.V.

As soon as I stepped into my house and actually sat down with my family, my body relaxed by millions. It always happens but this time it was different. I was really really happy to see my family. Even my sister. I tried not to notice but I couldn't help but realize that I was doing most of the talking at dinner. Angel was just...reserved half the time. I swear she only spoke a couple sentences and compared to me that's absolutely nothing. What was she thinking about?
Anyways, I was currently in bed with Angel. I waited for about ten or fifteen minutes before slowly exiting my room in hope that she was asleep. I climbed out of my bed inch by inch and stepped onto the floor. The floor creaked beneath my weight which I reluctantly flinched too. It took a little more careful steps but, eventually I made it onto the carpeted floor of the upstairs hallway. I closed the door first twisting the knob then closing the door so it wouldn't be heard. I saw the light peeking out from Laura's slightly opened door and immediately pushed open her door.
"Took you long enough." She said lying on her bed with a book. I rolled my eyes and said, "Are you going to help me or be bitchy?", closing the door softly behind me. She closed her book, placed it on her dresser, crossed her legs, and said, "Hey, you're the one who came to me for advice. I was just being a good sister!" I smiled and walked up to her. "I know and your a fucking amazing one.", I said pecking her on the cheek. She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh please! Just sit down would you. The sooner we get this over with the better." I eagerly took a seat at her rolling desk chair.
"Okay so tell me, does it seem like she's had any.. interactions with you like how she used to. Anything reminding of you of the way she used to act when you two were together?" Laura asked moving to the edge of her bed directly in front of me. I looked at my hands to try and think of times like that. Then it came to me. "Well, when I was in New York I got denied entry to the club I was supposed to play at and so she took me to this small area where people were dancing and it was the best night of my life with her. We had so much fun...we danced, laughed, and smiled." I said recalling all the amazing memories.
"Wait what! Back up a second...are you saying you danced with her?" She asked leaning forward on her knees. I smiled and said, "I'm not kidding. We really did but it all feels like a dream..you know?" She shook her head with a smile, "Jesus you need her for sure. You never liked to dance and I know I kind of forced you but if you danced with her and did..all of that then damn she's one hell of a girl for you Martin.". I leaned back and widened my eyes, "Tell me about it.". "Okay so is there a difference between the way she used to act and the way she is now?" Laura asked.
I thought for a second and said, "Yeah there is. She doesn't look at me the same anymore and she doesn't even tell me about herself that much. Wait actually, last night she opened up to me a little bit. She talked to me about her family and her childhood. It was something I never knew about her." "Hmmm..has she physically touched you by herself, or do you find that sometimes she doesn't look you in the eye when you both talk?" She asked.
I thought about it and said, "No she hasn't. It's usually me holding her hand and that's about it. She hasn't returned the favor at all. Actually, yeah. I feel like at times she does and doesn't. It's like back and forth constantly. I wake up to two different people and they both show each other at different times." She looked at me and said, "See that's the thing Martijn. She doesn't know whether to trust you or not. She's battling herself constantly over the idea of loving you. From what you're telling me she loves you all right. But after what happened she doesn't know whether you love her enough. Didn't she break up with her other boyfriend? Why?
" We both said at the same time,"Trust." "That's why she's so hesitant with you. Sometimes she shows her love like when you two were dancing. Sometimes she doesn't. You need to prove to her that she can trust you. That is key to any relationship and without it it's just two strangers talking to each other. What even is that?" I looked up at her in silence while thoughts crowded my brain. "You're right. I know she's been shoving that in my face over this tour but I'm just to blind to see it. The question is how? How do I prove this to her?" I said putting a hand to my forehead. "That's for you to figure out Martijn. I think that's enough for one night. Sleep on it." She said yawning.
I got up and hugged her, "Thank you.", kissing her on the cheek again. She did the same to me and we said our "Good nights." I closed her room door behind me and opened mine. Angel was fast asleep from the sound of her soft breaths. I slowly climbed back into my bed and lay on my back looking up at my gray ceiling. The moonlight cast a streak of bright light on the wall as it was around midnight. I had tomorrow to get this worked out before she left my life forever. I looked to my right and saw her sleeping peacefully. "What do I do Angel? What do I do?" I whispered to myself looking back at the ceiling. Soon enough my eyes closed and the comfortable setting eased me into a blissful sleep.