Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Tonight was the night of the hunter's moon. A moon so full, so large, and so bright, that you could see as if it were day. Alucard loved such nights. Such nights were perfect for sucking blood...and he was hungry.

The mission was to kill a vampire that was terrorizing an orphanage in the northern regions of England. Alucard had promised himself that he would drain her slowly. Yes, her. Male vampires never bothered with children; not when there was a bounty of young maidens in the cities.

When Alucard arrived, he was rather surprised that it wasn't a familiar scene of death. The grass was green, lush, and neatly mowed. Two tall trees grew on either side of the winding land and both of them had tire swings. The hedges were precisely trimmed. The Orphanage itself was awash in bright and inviting colors. Even in the starry moonlight light, this place was a place of beauty. One would start to think that they were in the wrong place. Alucard looked around. And then he sniffed the air. No doubt about it. Death was here. Alucard purposefully walked towards the front door. He opened the door and BAM! It fell off its hinges.

As cheerful as the outside may have been, the inside was a living nightmare. All adults killed or drained. Their lifeless bodies littered the floor. Alucard walked over to one of them and picked up its corpse. The man's face was pure horror and he had died screaming. Alucard dropped him and continued on further inside. Blood sprayed across the floor and was spattered on the walls. The rancid smell of blood and urine filled the air. There were also dead bodies of some adolescents lying around. They too had died in fear and terror.  Holes in walls, TV was smashed, and the chairs were broken or overturned. But of the 87 children that he'd been told were here, they were gone, taken elsewhere.

"Arrraagghhh! Arraagghhh!" groaned the ghouls.

"Hm." said Alucard, as he watched the dead return to life.

Broken bodies, disjoined, and some missing limbs. They surrounded him and hungered for his flesh. They were almost on him when he opened fired on them. He smiled with pleasure and pride, as his jackal spit round after round into each target, until only his smoking barrels were left. In seconds, every undead human was dead again. Alucard took a look around. Satisfied that no more ghouls would threaten the night, he began his search for the missing children.

The search didn't take long and they weren't hard to find. Not when he could feel the winds of fear, pain, and terror. He left out the back door of the orphanage and He followed this unseen wind to its source. Alucard found the vampire's den in a mine just past the forest. He radioed Integra that he'd found the lair. She acknowledged him and told him that he'd have 30 minutes before the human forces arrived to collect the children. He sent his understanding of his orders and then descended into the mine.

As Alucard descended into the depths of the earth, the scent of death and fear met him like a thick cloud of smog. Soon his ears could hear the fearful screams and cries of hundreds of children. Suddenly, the mine tunnel ended into a humongous cavern. Alucard frowned. Integra's Intel was flawed. There were hundreds of children down here. Damn Knights never got anything right, let alone informed his master of everything.

"Half of England must be missing their young." mused Alucard.

Alucard continued searching for his prey. He passed by hundreds of steel cages and inside each one was a child. All of them crying, all of them wanting to go home. The older ones cried out to him for help.

"Please, help me!"

"Please, let us out!"

"Please stop! Don't go! Please come back!"