Chapter 3

Walter stood a ways off as he looked upon this little scene. Integra and Alucard were arguing about keeping the child, while Seras had already fallen in love with her new baby sister. He wondered about Seras as he thought about her past life. Seras was an only child. Her parents had been murdered right before her eyes. She too had been shot and left for dead, only she didn't die. She pulled through and they sent her to an orphanage.

She was constantly picked on by the other kids, but she never stood up for herself, she mostly ignored them. They'd soon get bored and go away. However, when one of the other kids was being picked on and they were outnumbered, Seras would rush to defend them. She could beat up people twice her size if she had to. When she grew up, she became a cop, just like her father had been. Seras was a protector that was her nature. However, vampires were predators and Seras was not a predator. Thus was the conflict of her undead existence. A protector forced to be a predator and it was killing her.

But now with little George here, maybe with someone around that needed her protection. Maybe now Seras could reconcile her two halves and finally become a whole. And then there was Integra to consider.

The Queen and the knights were constantly hounding her about producing an heir. Well, fate had deemed to give them one; and one that had Integra's eyes. If he could hack into the adoption files and change them to a birth certificate, who could say that the child wasn't Integra's. And even if no one acknowledged her as Integra's heir, raising her would be good practice for Integra.

So Walter made a decision. "Alright, that's enough!" he said, interrupting their escalating argument. "If we are going to keep George then there must be rules set."

"Walter, we are not keeping her!" said Integra.

"Yes, we are." said Walter, matter of factly.

Alucard just smiled, completely satisfied with his victory.

"Are you insane?!" questioned Integra. "You know damn well none of us are qualified for this job or have the time to do it properly."

"Sir Integra, she's a child; Not a mission." said Walter. "Besides you need an heir and she even has your eyes."

"You must be mad. They will never accept her as my blood heir." said Integra, lighting and smoking her cigar.

"Then she'll be good practice for you." Walter said as he walked over to her and took the cigar from her lips. He crushed it out and said. "No more smoking from this day forward."

"Oh, come on." complained Integra. "I need them to keep from shooting people."

"Then smoke outside. Smoking is not good for George and 82% of parents that smoke have children that smoke when they grow up." informed Walter.

"And what is George to be when she grows up?" asked Integra.

"If not your heir." said Walter. "Then she'll be mine."

"Yours?" questioned Integra.

"I will not live forever, Sir. One day I too will be gone. At least if I raise George to be my replacement, I'll enjoy my hereafter more, if I know your being properly looked after." said Walter.

Integra thought about Walter. It was true. He wouldn't live forever; though she had often wished that he would. She needed him. And he was the only one that she trusted fully; mind, body, and soul. Then she looked at George; A brand new life, her whole future ahead of her. She was bright, giggly, and happy. Integra had once been bright and happy, and then her father died. And then she became the master of death and protector of life. She lost her happiness the day her father died.

"No, Walter. I will not condemn her to death. I will not have her part of this life." said Integra sadly.

Alucard walked up to his master and stood before her. "You cannot protect her from death. It will take her like it takes everyone else. Difference will be whether or not she is prepared to fight it. Out there we cannot protect her, but in here. Death will have to get by me first." informed Alucard.

Integra looked up at him. He was being serious. No smirks and no jokes. Then she looked at George. She and Seras were happily playing footsie. George was highly amused with Seras tickling her toes and playing peek a boo with her feet. Integra had never seen a genuine smile on Seras' face before. It was good to see.

"Alright, she can stay." relented Integra. "But how are we to care for her? And I don't want anyone finding out about her. The last thing I need is an inquisition from the knights."

"Alucard and Seras will watch over her at night and you and I will watch over her during the day. Alucard you will help feed, pamper, and teach George. Do not leave everything to Seras. Understood." instructed Walter.

"Yes." said Alucard.

"The same goes for you Integra. I will not do the work for you. Your father made time for you and you will make time for her." said Walter.

"Fine. But I still think this is a bad Idea. Who will look after her while they're out hunting?" she asked.

"We will." said Walter.

"And while I'm out at Meetings?" she added.

"Alucard will. George is his daughter, so he will have to sacrifice his sleep." stated Walter.

"Done." agreed Alucard.

"Well then, first thing we must do is set up a nursery for George. Integra, you and Alucard will go to the attic and bring down your cradle and anything else you find that will be suitable for George. We'll use the room right next to yours, Sir." said Walter.

"But that's my mother's room and it hasn't been used in twenty years." protested Integra.

"Well, I can always put George IN your room." countered Walter. "A baby must always be close to its mother."

"Then put her in Alucard's room." said Integra, defensively.

"In the Basement Dungeon?" Walter asked sarcastically.

"Alright, fine she can have mother's room." relented Integra, throwing her hands up in defeat.

Alucard held out his hand to Integra. "Shall we away to the attic, master?" he asked.

Integra took his hand and Alucard pulled her close to him. "At least with your powers, this won't take long." she griped.

"All the powers of darkness at my command, and I'm a moving van." laughed Alucard, as they disappeared.

With them gone, Walter turned to Seras. "Do you know how to drive a car?"

"Yes." Seras nodded.

"Good. Here are the keys to the car and my wallet. The knights won't be able to trace cash transactions. Take George shopping. Get her some suitable clothes, food, and toys." instructed Walter.

"Sure, no problem." beamed Seras. "Come on George, our First Shopping Trip."

"I'll be cleaning out George's new room. Report to me when you're done." said Walter.

"Right." Seras started to leave, but then she turned around. She walked right up to Walter and placed a kiss on his cheek. He blushed. "Thank you for convincing Sir Integra to let George stay."

"Your welcome, Miss Victoria." smiled Walter. "As for you George, be a good little girl for your big sister. OK?" George just wiggled and giggled at him. "I'll take that as a yes. Off you go."

Seras left with George. She was so happy, Walter thought that she would bust.

"This will definitely be interesting." he mused.