Chapter 90

Little Jon Hellsing-Kant was now fourteen years old, and he had inherited his father's good looks. Every girl in school had her eye on him. But he had also inherited his father's cockiness, and whereas George had fought bullies, Little Jon became one. He and four other boys from his school's football team ruled the school. They picked on kids, little or not. They terrorized the geeks and pushed around the fat kids, like medicine balls. George's chair in the principal's office now became his. However, Jon's armor of aloofness and indifference protected him from the slings and barbs of correction that his teachers tried to throw at him. He refused to acknowledge their authority and rarely succumbed to their disciplining.

"Yeah, whatever." was his favorite response.

Jon Hellsing-Kant was smart (when he wanted to be), popular, handsome, and rich; and he knew it. He cared for nothing, but playing football. But all that was about to change, because little Jon also inherited something from his mother.

It happened in P.E. class. He and another boy, named Edgar, had gotten into a fight because Little Jon had kissed Susan Jackson, Edgar's girlfriend. Little Jon didn't love her, but he wasn't about to let the opportunity pass him by. So Edgar challenged him to a fight. Now Jon never liked fighting because it endangered his good looks, but George had taught him to protect himself. So Little Jon easily beat Edgar up. As Edgar lay there bleeding and out cold, as little Jon began to understand the rush that George got from fighting, something began happening to his body. He fell to his knees and began to shake uncontrollably. He held his sides and cried out in pain. His buddies ran to his side and asked him what was wrong.

"Jon! Jon! Are you alright?!"

"Jon, you want me to get the nurse?"

"No! I'm...I'm... Argh!! Leave me alone!" Little Jon shouted at his friends

Jon's mind was racing in fear. What was wrong? What was happening to him? Suddenly his blood felt like fire and his hands began to ache. He looked at his hands and his eyes went wide with fear. His hands were growing bigger and bigger and hair was starting to grow on them. Realization as to what was happening to him hit him like a bolt of lightning. He had to get out of sight...fast! He pushed past the pain, stood, shoved his friends aside and started running.

"Jon! Jon!"

"Where are you going?!"

"What's wrong?!"

"Nothing! Don't follow me. Get away from me! I'm going home!" howled Jon, as his voice became more and more wolf like.

Jon's body continued to fight him, contort, and change as he left school and ran home. In the middle of Hyde Park, behind some bushes at the duck pond, the change became complete. He left his shredded clothes behind and tried to run home. Only he didn't have any idea as to where he was running to. He was wondering around the park when the screaming started.

"Wolf! Wolf!"

He had been lost in thought and the woman's screaming scared him. He immediately took off running as fast as his legs would carry him. The police took up chasing him and tried to catch him, but he was nimble and agile and he eluded them at every turn. Suddenly, the scent of something cooking caught his attention. The John Bull steakhouse had just opened up its doors for business, when Jon ran by, and he was their first customer. He ran past screaming waitress, dodged the bottles of glass and chairs that were thrown at him by the waiters and dashed into the kitchen. He scared the hell out of the cooks, as he tore into the freshly prepared meals. The owner called the police and Animal Control. However, being cornered by the police and animal control didn't improve situations. He fought them as he looked for a way to escape. He finally made it pass them by slipping under tables and then he jumped out of the restaurant front window. More screaming ensued, as this large almost brown wolf leapt through the glass window at them. Jon was running just to get away from the men chasing him, when he suddenly caught the scent of something strange and yet somehow familiar.