Chapter 15

It was a beautiful afternoon, with the sun shining bright. Integra was at a meeting and Alucard was still asleep. Seras had gotten up early to watch George, but she didn't mind, not one bit. She loved the fact that she had a baby sister to look after. She and George had played "hide and seek". She and George had played tag. Now it was time for George's ABCs.

Even though George was about 26 months old, she still had not spoken her first English words. Walter had attributed this to the fact that Alucard and Seras spent more time with her than he and Integra. And that since vampires spoke more mentally than verbally; George hadn't developed any language skills.

So now Seras spent her evenings attempting to teach George English. However, it wasn't going so well. Even though Seras now only spoke to George verbally, Alucard still spoke to her mentally. And he spoke to her in Romanian. So, George had a strong Mental Romanian Vocabulary, but not much else.

"Come here George. Let's read a book." called Seras. George poked her head up from Seras' sock drawer. "Now how did you get in there?" she chided, as she pulled her out.

Seras sat down with George in her lap and began to read "the Cat in the Hat" to her. George just listened. Soon Walter brought down their dinner.

"Here we are." he announced. "A meal packet for you and fish fillet, peas and carrots for you."

"Thank you Walter." said Seras. "I'll eat it later."

"Very good. I'll save it for later." smiled Walter.

"Prajiture." demanded George.

George had learned that while Alucard and Seras could hear her; Walter and Integra ignored her unless she spoke verbally.

"Pardon me." said Walter. "English, please."

"Prajiture." repeated George.

Walter knelt before George. "I will not respond to demands in languages other than English." said Walter to George. "And you will not receive a cookie before you've had your main meal."

"I thought you were teaching her English." Walter asked Seras.

"I'm trying to." said Seras. "But it's like she refuses to learn it. She always speaks in Romanian. Sometimes, even I don't understand her."

"Nenorocit singe." said George, angry at being given no dessert.

"I beg your pardon." said Walter, indignantly.

"Nenorocit singe." said George.

"No, George. That's not nice." scolded Seras. "You apologize."

George made an annoyed and pouting face. "Suparat." <sorry>

"I'm sorry Walter." gushed Seras. "I didn't teach her that."

"No, I'm afraid Sir Integra did." said Walter.

"She wouldn't." exclaimed Seras.

"Oh, not intentionally." said Walter. "But when Sir Integra is angry everyone can hear her whether the door is closed or not. I shall have to discuss this with her."

During this discussion, George had eaten her dinner and now held up an empty plate before Walter.

"Prajiture." she demanded. <cookie>

"No." said Walter.

"L a minca hrana." she whined. <I eat my food.>