Chapter 60

George was being punished; punished for trying to kill Jonathan. She was sitting in a dungeon right next to Alucard's room. Her left foot was chained to the wall. The chain was long enough to reach the toilet, but no longer. Walter brought George books and paper for her to do her homework. She had more time on her hands now, since she wasn't allowed to train with Alucard. Now George's days consisted of school, charm school, and homework; but nothing else. George sat there thinking, as she watched Walter pick up her finished homework and replaced it with more.

"Don't eye me like that George, you brought this upon yourself. I will bring your dinner down in another hour." said Walter, as he left.

"Thank you, Uncle Walter." said George.

George's sentence was one month in prison for the attempted murder of her stepfather. It had been two and a half weeks with no visitors, but Walter. But now Integra came to see George. George looked up and Integra's frown greeted her.

"Are you sorry, George?" Integra asked looking down on her.

"I am sorry to be here." smirked George.

Integra sighed and sat down beside George. She leaned back against the wall, and watched George as she did her homework.

"Why do you hate him so much?" asked Integra. "He's never done anything to you."

"Why do you love him so much?" countered George. "He's never done anything for you. Not like master."

"Hm, all these years and I thought would be arguing with Alucard about this." chuckled Integra, with a smile.

George said nothing. She just put her homework aside and joined Integra beside the wall. She crossed her arms as she sat close to Integra, the only human contact that she had had with her mother in nearly a month.

"I hate him because he took you from me." George told her.

"George, I thought we settled this. I'm still here. I haven't gone anywhere. Unless...you mean..." Integra sat thinking. George and Alucard are so close...so much alike. What if...what if George is acting on Alucard's impulses? What if...when Alucard showed George what he truly was, he transferred not only the essence of what he is; but also of what he feels. "I have to go and talk to Alucard." said Integra, getting up to leave.

"Go ahead," said George sarcastically, as she returned to her homework. "I'll be here."

Integra smiled at her. "Too much like your father." Integra left George's cell and went to Alucard's room. The door opened for her as she approached it. "Alucard."

"Yes, master." Alucard answered her politely.

A chair magically presented itself to Integra and she sat down. The chair moved of its own accord and brought her to Alucard's throne.

"Alucard, I think you're affecting George's behavior," said Integra, succinctly. "She hates Jon because you hate Jon."

"George is her own person." said Alucard, with a wicked smile. "She has her own reasons for hating Jon."

"Are you sure about that? She hates Jon because she sees him as taking me from her, but I am still here." Integra sat up straight and crossed her arms. "I've not gone anywhere. Only you would see it that way, my dear count."

Alucard smirked at her and leaned back in his seat. "You are forgetting my dear countess, how desperate children can be when their parents divorce and remarry," said Alucard, as he looked at her with serious eyes. "Look at this from George's point of view. What would you have done, if your father had remarried after the death of your mother? Would you have welcomed your stepmother with open arms?"

Integra thought about it. She had never thought of it before, because no one had ever brought it up before. Her father had loved her mother so much, that even after she had died, he refused to be with anyone else. So...what would she have done?

"Maybe not, but I wouldn't have put a python in her bed either." said Integra, rolling her eyes as she remembered George's actions.

"No, knowing you...you would have guided her down to the ghoul pool and left her there to fend for herself." said Alucard, an amused look on his face.

Integra frowned with worry. "Oh god, I hope George doesn't do that to Jon."

"Don't worry." chuckled Alucard, delighted by the look on Integra's face. "She doesn't know about the ghoul pool...yet."

Now that Alucard had put the question to her, Integra could sympathize with George. Would she have tried to kill her stepmother? Probably not. Most likely, she would have given her the silent treatment, or even tried to talk her father out of marry her in the first place, just as George had done. The more she thought about it, the more logic George's actions seemed to have.

"I had to punish her. You can't just kill people you don't like," justified Integra. "If I could, Maxwell would be the first to die."

Alucard laughed at her. "You and George are so much alike."

Integra just looked away from him.

"So...what shall we talk about now, my dear countess?" he asked, as he crossed his long legs.

"How is George's training coming?" she asked, as she sat back in like manner.

"Quiet well, she's only nine, and already she can beat a gym full of boxers and their sons," smiled Alucard, proudly.

"That explains the new shiner and the fat lip that I saw on her that morning." Integra shook her head.

"How is her magical education coming?" Alucard questioned her.

"She has already mastered healing and protection spells. Exorcisms will come later, when she has more control. So right now I'm teaching her the languages she'll need to know in order to read the books in my father's library." explained Integra.

Alucard laughed with great delight. "I can't wait for George to grow up. She will be the greatest warrior you humans have ever seen."

"You're not trying to conquer the world with George, are you?" Integra asked him. I wouldn't put it past him to try.

"No, but men like to leave behind testaments to their greatness. Some do this with monuments and castles, others with lands and territories, and others still with their children. Mighty men and women of great knowledge and renown are not born; they were molded by their parents and shaped by their circumstances." relayed Alucard, as he thought seriously on George's future.

"Like you were?" asked Integra, thinking on his words.

"Yes, like I was. My parents were murdered. My brother and I were prisoners of the Sultan. My people were threatened by disloyal and power hungry barons, and the looms of war hung over their heads. The sense of justice and freedom that my father had instilled in me, I used to fuel the fires that cried for revenge and justice in me. So too will George be forged, someone to keep your house, you child, and your army while I sleep."

Integra Hellsing sighed with regret. "It is such a pity. That I cannot leave all this to her." Integra stood and prepared to leave his room. "I have no doubt in my mind, that she IS my true heir."