Chapter 77

It was Friday night and the palace was in high spirits. The debutante ball was going quite well. Several young girls of grace and breeding had been presented this evening and now it was George's turn. George stood in the wings waiting to be announced.

"Stop fidgeting, George." scolded Integra, as she watched George pace back and forth.

"I can't believe you're making me do this." growled George, still mad.

"Why not, I did it." Integra shrugged, with a cocky grin.

"And who was your escort?" George asked, wondering what poor man had a death sentence.

"Walter presented me and Alucard was my escort. By the way, have I told you that I very much approve of your choice of an escort?" Integra informed her.

"I didn't choose him. James chose me. He's says it's payback for me kicking his ass seven years ago." said George, as she finally stopped pacing.

"Watch your language George, and don't embarrass the Hellsing family name." warned Integra, giving her a gentle thump on the head.

"No sir. Never sir." smiled George.

At that moment, the Hellsing Family was called. Jonathan and Integra walked arm in arm, down the stairs and stood at the bottom. George stood there and waited, and as she waited, she wondered why Alucard couldn't present her. He was her father, after all. He was Vlad Draculea, son of Vlad Dracul, Prince of Romania; and if he was a Prince, then that made her a princess, a noble princess of royal blood. George stood up straight and squared her shoulders. A princess was elegant, gentle, and graceful. A princess demanded great respect, but also knew her place as a protector of her people. George was Alucard's daughter; therefore, it was him that she would not embarrass. Suddenly, her name was called.

"George Victoria Hellsing, daughter of Sir Jonathan and Lady Integra Hellsing."

George rolled her eyes in annoyance at being formally named Jonathan's daughter; but otherwise put on her best face. Eyes bulged and jaws dropped to the floor, as George gracefully descended the stairs. When Sir Integra ordered George's dress, she took into account that her favorite color was blue and that her eyes were also blue. She also took into account that with all the scar's that Alucard had given her in training, that her dress should most likely have a high back and long sleeves. George's dress was ice blue and matched her eyes. It was long, flowing, and flared at bottom, giving the appearance of snow covering the ground. The tiara that Integra had given her gave her the air of royalty and completed the snow queen ensemble. George kept her head held high as she descended the stairs and nodded lightly to those she knew.

George never thought about it, but all those years of physical training had honed her body into a beautiful young woman. And with Walter's education, her eyes brimmed with intelligence as they sparkled. Moreover, after enduring ten years of Lady Grey's charm school, George had the manners and grace of a princess; when she chose to use them. Integra nodded her approval of George's entrance; and then she and Jon parted to allow her access to the floor. Her date, Lieutenant James Tyler walked up to her and bowed to her. She curtsied to him, and he escorted her to the dance floor. They took their place and waited for the last girl to be introduced; and then the "Voices of Spring" waltz began, each girl giving the first dance to her date.

When that was done, each girl was then free to dance with whoever asked her. George was asked by three boys at once. At first she was shocked, and then she was annoyed, as they argued over who would get her first. That's when she asked for a drink and the boys rushed off to fulfill her wish. And while they were gone, she sneaked out and left the ballroom.