Chapter 22

The next afternoon, both Integra and Alucard had tea with the queen. It was four o'clock in the afternoon as Integra and Alucard walked the halls of Buckingham palace. Not wanting to stick out, a human and a vampire, they decided to blend in. Integra wore a simple white dress and Alucard wore a simple suit of black.

They were escorted to the sunroom and were instructed to wait. Soon a servant arrived with tea and cakes. And later, the queen herself entered the room. Alucard and Integra rose to greet her. They bowed to her and waited for her to sit down first. At the queen's command, they sat down and the meeting began.

"Sir Integra Hellsing." began the Queen. "Do you mind telling us how you have raised George all these years?"

"Well, your majesty. Walter and I care for her during the day and Alucard and Seras look after her at night." explained Integra.

"Why did you name her George?" questioned the queen.

"I didn't your majesty. Alucard did." answered Integra.

"Why did you name George, Alucard?"

"When we first met, I was wearing my big red hat. George equated that with the man in the yellow hat in the Curious George stories they used to read to her in the orphanage. So that is what I named her." told Alucard.

The queen just sat and listened to his explanation. She looked at the two of them together. Integra dressed in white and Alucard dressed in black. He almost looked completely normal, like he belonged with her.

"Do you wish to know what we think?" asked the Queen.

"Not really." thought Alucard.

"Yes, your majesty." answered Integra.

"We think the reason that you have yet to choose a husband is because you measure them against Alucard." stated the Queen, very seriously.

"That's not true." said Integra, shocked at the revelation.

"Oh, but it is." continued the queen. "Whether consciously or subconsciously, you measure every candidate against him; is he strong enough, is he smart enough, is he obedient enough, can he protect you. And every single time we present you with a candidate, you have some reason as to why he is unsuitable."

"No offense, your majesty, but the men presented to me are vainglorious, foolish, and weak-minded. They would not last one week in my organization." protested Integra.

"Oh really, And what about Sir Brian Roberts?" asked the Queen. "He was a military man, not given to foolish activities, not too much older than yourself; what was wrong with him?"

Integra said nothing, as she sat and thought about this. Is that what she had really been doing all this time? No, that couldn't be it; she was just particular about whom she would share her bed with. It was true that there had been nothing wrong with Sir Roberts; she just couldn't imagine herself...sleeping with him.

"Your father was not nearly as obstinate." said the queen. "He dated every young woman we presented him with. When we asked him to choose one, do you know what he told us?"

Integra shook her head no. "No, your majesty. What did he say?" asked Integra.

"Why should I? If I date all of them and impregnate half of them, then Hellsing will have more than enough heirs." said the queen.

Alucard just chuckled. "He would say that." said Alucard, remembering how "feisty" Arthur had been.

Integra just looked at them in disbelief. "My father...said that?" questioned Integra.