Chapter 14

Integra had been invited to a high stakes poker game; a game which was being held by the Knights of the Round Table. Integra had declined, but then the queen sent her an invitation. Soon Integra saw this high stakes poker game for what it really was; another thinly veiled attempt at getting Integra to meet with eligible bachelors. So she took Seras with her, for protection and good luck. At least no one would be able to cheat at cards.

And so it fell to Alucard to watch George today. The last time Alucard had to watch George, she had been alone. It was just her and Alucard. This time, George had a playmate. A black six-eyed puppy familiar named Ink. When Alucard asked her why she named it Ink, an image of an ink well that sat on Integra's desk came to mind. A child's mind and a child's reasoning, but it was a name that well fitted a creature of the night; and so it was that George got a puppy dog.

Alucard watched in bored amusement as George and Ink tore up his room. They didn't mean it; they were just playing, playing like little wolves in the wild. They nipped and pulled at each other. They tumbled and fought with each other. That was all well and good, but they had knocked over Alucard's wine bottle of blood; wasting his dinner all over the floor. And they had torn his coat in two when they started playing tug of war with it, a fight that Ink won in that his teeth were stronger than George's. Not only that, but as they fought they and played in the mushy liquid, George and Ink were now covered in blood and leaving bloody tracks all over his room.

Finally, Alucard had had enough of this when they started making their way over to his coffin.

"Oh, no you don't." He picked up both George and Ink and sat them both down on the floor in front of him. "Enough." he said. "Sit."

George immediately sat down and cringed. She knew they were in trouble. Alucard rarely spoke to her verbally. Ink, however, was still new and had not learned that yet. Ink started to walk away.

"I said SIT." ordered Alucard.

Ink just looked at him.

"Ink." called George to her familiar mentally. "Sit." George patted the floor. Then she stood up and sat down again, and then patted the floor once more. "Maestru say sit." thought George.

Ink trotted back over to George, gave her a lick, and sat beside her.

"Bun." thought Alucard. "Now Ink, roll over." Ink rolled over. "George. Roll over."

George looked at Ink. Ink lay down and rolled over again. Then he barked at George as if to say "now you try". George had watched Ink do it and it looked like fun. George lay down and George rolled over. Ink barked and wagged his tale. He bounded over to George and licked her. George giggled and they started playing again. Alucard sighed an annoyed sigh. Children and dogs lose focus so fast.

"SIT." commanded Alucard.

They immediately sat down and waited.

"Good. Ink, sit up." Ink sat up on his hind legs. "George, sit up." ordered Alucard. George got on her knees and held herself up like Ink. "Good. Ink speak."

"Woof, woof, Bark."

"George."

"Woof, woof, Bark." squeaked George.

"Bun. Now for something more constructive." he smiled, with a toothy grin.

Later that night, Walter came to check on George and bring her up for dinner. His jaw dropped as he not only saw the state of Alucard's room, but that Alucard had Ink and George jumping through hoops of fire like circus animals.