Chapter 74

George found her mother and stepfather in the den playing chess. She stood beside her mother and watched her make a move on Jonathan's bishop. Now that her mother's turn was over, George asked her mother...

"May I learn to drive?" 

"George, you're only fifteen. You're too young to drive." stated Jonathan, as considered his next move and then removed one of Integra's pawns.

"Oh, come on. What if an emergency arises and I need to drive the boys to the doctor?" George argued.

"Call an ambulance." said Integra, checking Jon's king.

"Please, sir." begged George. "How can I be a proper butler without the knowledge of being able to drive my wards around?"

Integra seriously looked at George, as she waited for Jonathan to make his next move. "Can I trust you to be responsible?"

"Yes, sir." George saluted her mother and gave her a winning grin.

"Uh huh," Integra smirked at her. "like when you set the basement on fire?"

"You set the basement on fire?" Jonathan asked, as shock colored his face.

"It was only a little fire." said George, downplaying the event.

"It was a firestorm and you destroyed the entire room." reminded Integra, with a chuckle. "You would have killed yourself, if the sprinklers hadn't come on."

George just stood there giving Integra the puppy dog eyes. It worked for other girls. Why wouldn't it work for her?

"Don't even try it." said Integra, completely blasé with George's pleading.

"Oh, come on Integra look at those puppy eyes of hers." Jonathan laughed. "How can you say no to that?" 

"Jonathan, You're a sap." questioned Integra, thinking about her next two moves. "How could you say yes; especially after what she's done to you?" 

"Well, maybe because instead of just tearing things apart as she usually does, she could spend her time learning to put things together. In return for teaching you to drive, you can spend your time in the motor pool learning car repair. How does that sound?"

"That actually sounds thought out and well planned." smirked Integra, looking up from the board to look at Jonathan.

"So's this move. Checkmate." beamed Jonathan.

Integra studied the board. She had indeed lost this round. She smiled. It was hard to impress her, but...he had done it.

"Very well, George." Integra yielded. "You may learn to drive."

Minutes later, in the motor pool...

"So, it's my job to teach you to drive, is it?" chuckled Pip.

"Yes. And as payment, for every hour that you spend teaching me to drive, I have to spend one hour in the motor pool repairing your vehicles." reported George.

"Oh, that's fair. I'm sure Tinker would enjoy the company, if not the help. O.K. let's get started then. The first thing you need to know are the rules of the road. So take this book and study it. I will test you on it at the end of the week. Provided that you pass the written test, then I will put you in a jeep. You shouldn't be able to destroy a jeep. I hope."

For six months, Pip teaches George how drive.

"Slow down, girl!" Pip hollered, as he held onto the dash and willed the car to stop. "This isn't a race!"