Chapter 72

George was asleep in class again. But soon a female voice pierced her dreamless sleep.

"George." the soft and lovely voice called out to her.

"Hm." George grumbled. She hated being disturbed, when she was happy.

"George, wake up." Now the voice was followed by some poking. "I need to ask you something."

"Ask me what, Vivian?" yawned George, as she sat up to face her.

"Will you go with me?" Vivian asked her purposely. 

"No. I prefer boys." George yawned again.

"That's not what I meant. Come on George, wake up." begged Vivian, pulling on George's ears.

"Argh! I'm up. I'm up." George smacked her hands away from her left ear.

"Will you go with me after school to the theater room?" Vivian requested. "I want to try out for the school play. And I would feel better if you were there to support me."

George shook her head no and looked at her. "I can't. I have work to do after school."

"Oh." frowned Vivian, hanging her head in rejection. "I don't suppose you'd change your mind if I said please."

George studied Vivian's face. Vivian was a smart girl, but she lacked faith in herself. George wondered. If she said no, would she still go? Would she have the strength to stand on her own? Tommy didn't, and George rescued him. Now she had a decision to make. Would she rescue Vivian too?

"What time are the try outs?" George groaned and her shoulder's fell.

"Thank you, George. Thank you." said Vivian, hugging George.

"Ugh, let me go." George gently removed Vivian's arms from around her and pushed her away.

"Try outs are at 3:30. Don't be late, O.K." Vivian laughed at George's "shyness" and gave her a wink.

"When a Hellsing gives their word..." George nodded gentlemanly at her.

Vivian looked into George's eyes and smiled. "Someday, a man will be graced by gods to have you as his wife."

George smiled back at her and laughed. "Not if he is favored by them."

Vivian laughed too, as she returned to her seat. "George Hellsing, you are so weird."

**

It was 3:30 p.m. and George was sitting in the audience waiting for try outs to begin. She watched with complete disinterest as the director began to speak to his young would be actors.

"Alright, everyone take your places. Come, come. We will be performing one of the most enduring plays written by Andrew L. Weber, The Phantom of the Opera. Today we will cast for Raoul, the Phantom, and Christine. So all those who think they are ready to be stars, line up and we will hear you read for your part."

George yawned as she listened to several boys read for the part of Raoul. Finally, a boy named Peter was chosen to play the part of Raoul. Peter was a handsome boy with blonde hair and brown eyes. He stood at five foot eleven and had the strong build of an Admiral's son; his father being Admiral Peter Teach, Vice Admiral in the queen's Navy.

Now the girls lined up and waited their turn to read for Christine. Girl by girl, they all gave their best, and then it was Vivian's turn. Vivian stepped forward and stood center stage. George sat up and gave her, her full attention. She smiled at her and nodded. Vivian smiled to see her there and then began to speak.