Swimmers

Merrill Young X reader 💕

Warning: if you are not comfortable with the topic of rape and suicide then please don't read this story.
********************************************
I was the new girl in town. Wasn't easy considering my family's circumstance. At school I was called broke, poor girl, street walker, and all because I didn't have as much money as they did. Well I had enough to get me places in life and that's all that matters. There was one person though. We never talked but I always saw her in the halls. She looked sad. All the time. I'm pretty sure she's the same girl who gave my brother a blowjob but, who knows?

We had math and art class together and I swear on gods name she stared at me all the time, but every time I turned my head in her direction she always turned away. Like she didn't want to be seen.

"Alright class..." Mrs. Dickerson my art teacher started.
"...we are going to having another project this semester. Now I will call by table and you will come up and draw a name out of the hat. That name will be your partner. Now let's see... Amanda how about you start us off."
She stood from her desk.
"I go by my middle name. Merrill." She started in an annoyed tone. She slowly reached her hand in the hat and swirled it around until she picked a piece of paper out of the hat.
"Y/n y/l ?" My head shot up and looked at her.
"That's me." I stated simply while raising my hand.
"Great." She mumbled softly as she grabbed her stuff and sat next to me at my desk.
"Hi. I'm Y/n." I held my hand out for her to shake. She looked at my hand then up at my face and scoffed, turning back to the front of the class. Ok not a hand shaking type of girl. Good to know.

After class a followed Merrill to her locker.
"Hey, um, I was wondering if you wanted to start the project tonight?" I asked shyly.
"Awww, is baby nervous around the scary girl?" She mocked in a baby like voice.
"No, I just.... I've never really heard you talk so I just don't want to make you uncomfortable or something."
"Oh." She seemed shocked that I cared.
"I mean, I guess. We can go to my place if you want." I didn't know which place she meant. I had seen her walk into this house that used to be for sale but then it wasn't, and she wouldn't come out for a while. Now she stays with her aunt Shelly.
"Ok cool. Here is my number...." I wrote my number on a piece of paper, folded it, and gave it to her.
"....just text or call when you want me to come over."

That night i grabbed my bag that had all my art stuff in it and hoped on my bike, going straight to the address Merrill sent me. When I got there I noticed it was the house I had always seen her go into on occasion. I walk to the front door and noticed it was opened so I just walked in.
"Merrill?......Merrill?.......Merrill?" I yelled her name multiple times with no answer until I got close to the back door.
"I'm out here, Y/n!" She yelled from out side.

I stepped outside and there she was. Laying on the pool deck, staring into the night sky. The moon was the only light to be seen and it made her skin glow.

"Hey. What are you doing out here?"
"Thinking." She said blankly.
"About what?" I ask as I laid down beside her.
"A story."
"What about?"
"A story of a little girl. About 12... maybe. One day she came home from school. She went inside her house and she called out for her mother. But her mother didn't answer so she went to her room. There was water. It was dripping from the ceiling...." Merrill's eyes started to tear up.
".....So she went up to her mothers room and she wasn't there. So she went into the bathroom and that's where she found her mother. She needed to get clean....." A single tear drop ran down Merrill's face and I whipped it away with my pointer finger.
".....No matter how loud the girl screamed and cried her mother wouldn't wake up. She wouldn't get out of the tub." Merrill's tears dripped onto the pool deck as she cried and cried. I turned on to my side and wrapped my arms around her waist.
"That 12 year old girl was you. Wasn't it?" I asked quietly.
"Yeah." She replied softly.