Lilys nightmare

Disclaimer: written by @HarryPotterUntilTheEnd

Lily Evans was having a nightmare. In fact she had this same dream most nights. In the dream it was a huge crowd of people led by Severus pointing at her and shouting "FREAK. FILTHY MUDBLOOD. STUPID BITCH." over and over again. She started to cry and scream in her sleep. James heard her from his Head Boy's room and got up, walking over to her Head Girl's room. James hated hearing her scream and cry like she did almost every night. But what he hated most was not knowing why, but he wouldn't dare ask her. She was just starting to look at him like he was another human being, and he didn't plan on jeopardizing that for anything. He opened the door to her room and laid down on her bed next to her, holding her and comforting her until she stopped crying. He held her every time this happened, hoping that he was providing some comfort. Although she never knew about this - until tonight.

This particular night Lily awoke and opened her eyes while James was still holding her. She sleepily looked up at him, not processing in her mind that he was in her bed or even that his arms were around her. However, he didn't even process that she had woken up either. So instead of jumping up and leaving - he stayed where he was, holding her and whispering over and over again. "It's ok, everything is ok, you're ok, Lily."

Lily stared up at him. "W-What are you doing here, Potter?" She said sleepily, rubbing her eyes to wake herself up.

Panic overtook him as his heart started beating a million miles a minute. He sat up, releasing her from his arms, trying to come up with an excuse. "Well- I, um- You-" He shook his head in an attempt to gather his thoughts, "You were screaming, I-well... I came in to check on you and thought I'd stay," He said, waiting for her to find her wand and send a good hex his way.

Lily sat up, looking down as she realised why she has been screaming. "Oh... Okay..." She said. "Thanks, anyway." She looked up at him and smiled a little in her half-awake state. When she had first woken up, she had quite enjoyed him holding her - even if she didn't want to admit it to herself.

He looked at her curiously. This was not what he was expecting, but James didn't want to argue. Being on the wrong end of one of her hexes was an experience he didn't want to repeat. "You're welcome..." He said sheepishly as he looked away. Before he could stop himself, curiosity got the better of him. "What do you dream about that scares you so much?"

Lily froze. But he didn't take his eyes off of her, and so he noticed how she seemed to freeze up. She had never wanted to tell anyone what she had nightmares about because in her head she had convinced herself that it was just a silly fear. "Ermm... It doesn't matter... It's just a silly dream - that's all..." Lily said, trying to avoid having to answer his question.

He scratched his head, deciding on whether or not to press the matter further. "Alright, whatever you say, Evans," he said with a shrug. He pushed himself off the bed, standing up. "Well since you're not screaming anymore, I'll just go ahead and leave..." He said, hoping she'd allow him to remain there with her.

Lily looked up at him and reached her hand out. "No... Stay..." She said quickly. A smile grew quickly on his face as she felt her hand on his. The girl then realised how much of an idiot she must look like and quickly lowered her hand, staring down at her blanket. "I mean you can go if you want but I'd like it if you stayed... But it's obviously your choice and such..." Lily added, rambling on.

He couldn't believe it. She was asking him to stay. He turned back to the bed, a sheepish grin on his face. He loved how she managed to be absolutely beautiful no matter what time of day it was. He sat on the bed, folding his hands in his lap and crossing his ankles. "I'll stay, then."

Lily smiled a little, thankful that the darkness was mostly covering her blush. She didn't really know why she had asked him to stay, she just liked being there with him. It felt a lot nicer with him there rather than just being all on her own. "Thank you, James." She said, even surprising herself a little when she used his first name. He bit the inside of his cheek and blushed at her use of his first name. She'd never called him by his name before, and he found he rather liked it.