The first time Lily thanked James

Disclaimer: written by @junebug617

And once again, I have you beat James Potter," Lily announced triumphantly, holding up her potions exam in James's disgruntled face. "Gone for three days and still holding my position as top of the class." Next to her, Sev smiled at her success.

Sirius began to clap rather slowly, drawing the attention of a couple other students nearby. "Congratulations, Lily Flower," he smiled charmingly. "It always is such a good feeling when you beat us at something we could care less about."

Lily scowled and faced forward again, leaving the snickering Marauders at her back. "Never mind them, Lil," Sev told her with a grin. "They're just sore that you beat them fair and square."

Lily smiled. "Nothing can get my mood down today, Sev. Coming back to Hogwarts after vacation feels great, even though Christmas is over." She bumped him with a wink. "And it's nice to see you again too."

"Good job, Lily," Alice Wright whispered back to Lily so that she missed Severus's pleased blush.

"Thanks," Lily whispered back as Slughorn started talking. Her fellow Gryffindor gave her one last smile before she turned around towards her partner, Marlene McKinnon, again.

Lily had never been close with the other girls in her year. They were obsessed with boys and Quidditch and most of all, James Potter. Everything that wasn't up her alley. She had to admit it was lonely sometimes. Its not like Sev could join her for dinner, or for late night studying in the Common Room. Besides him, she really had no other friends. Lily was known to be more of the studious type than the social.

However, Alice Wright had been extending a hand of friendship lately ever since Lily helped her with a difficult Charms piece before Christmas break. And Lily liked it. It was rare she got along with a girl her age but Alice was kind with a streak of spirit and fairness that Lily appreciated in a sea of thirteen-year-old girls. She always left their encounters with a smile. It just felt nice to be...normal...for a change.

"...and the exam will take place next Wednesday," Slughorn finished as Lily broke out of her reverie. "Any questions?" The class was silent, the eagerness to leave thick in the air. "Then you're free to go."

Exclamations of delight were audible as books and cauldrons scraped into bags and over to the other side of the classroom as the Slytherins and the Gryffindors were allowed to go early.

"What should we do with our free time?" Severus asked excitedly, as he and Lily made their way from the classroom. "You haven't been the library since you came in last night. We could go there?"

Lily laughed. "Calm down, I have the rest of the year to visit the library. We could...visit the astronomy tower?"

"Sounds like a plan." Sev grinned and the two were off. "How was the trip anyways?"

"Wonderful," Lily hummed. "Petunia spent most of it sulking but mum and dad were lovely to see again. I'm just glad Dumbledore allowed me to stay the few extra days with them. France was beautiful, even though it is winter."

"You're one of the school's best students. Of course he would let you stay." Lily smiled. "It was lonely without you," he told her suddenly, shrugging his hands in his pockets.

"I know," she nudged him with her hip. "But I'm back now and that's all that matters."

"So tell me how you do it." Snape turned around with a smile and walked backwards while looking at her. "Tell me how you manage to get the top mark in a class where you missed the last three days lectures we needed to know for the surprise exam."