Happy new year

Disclaimer: written by @emeraldEmbrace

"James Potter, where are you?"Lily Evans' voice rang through the Gryffindor Common Room, managing to be heard even over the sounds of the New Years Eve party currently taking place in that very same room. Lily pushed past some sixth year Ravenclaws currently debating which of them would be most likely to get Sirius Black to take his top off if they asked, which was stupid as Lily knew Sirius would take his top off even if they didn't ask, and she spotted James standing with the aforementioned Sirius by the drinks table.

"James!" Lily shouted again, closer this time, anger bursting forth with each letter.

"Oh, hey Lily," James casually greeted the Muggle-born, turning around to face her, seeming completely at ease despite the raging red-head in front of him.

"Don't you 'Hey Lily' me," Lily fumed. "Why on Earth is there a party still taking place in here when it's already after curfew on New Year's Eve?!"

"Well you didn't expect us to have a New Years Eve party on any day other than New Years Eve, did you?" Sirius piped up, earning a death glare from Lily, before he added "Shutting up, now," and walked off to play Truth or Dare with the Ravenclaws Lily passed earlier, who had finally found a way to trick Sirius into taking off his shirt.

"Come on, Lily," James whined, drawing her attention away from Sirius and back to himself. "It's New Years Eve! Live a little! It's the last chance we'll ever have to hold a New Years Eve party in Hogwarts, at least let us have this!"

"That's what you said about the Halloween party, too," Lily pointed out, but James could tell she was being persuaded.

"And look at how well that party turned out!" James exclaimed.

"Half the students from fifth year up spent almost all the next day with a hangover from Hell, and 3 sixth year Hufflepuffs ended up in the Hospital Wing after they fell down the stairs trying to get back to their Common Room at the end of it," Lily stated, staring at the Marauder in disbelief.

"Yeah but no one was that badly hurt!" James insisted. "And no one got caught!"

"That is hardly the point," Lily declared pointedly.

"Come on, Lily! It's the last day of 1977, lets at least go out with a bang!" James reasoned, causing Lily to give him a piercing look.

"You wouldn't happen to be planning to set off any Filibuster Fireworks, would you?" She asked suspiciously, to which James just grinned.

"I guess you'll have to wait until midnight to find out," he answered cheekily, and Lily finally gave in.

"Fine, you can have your party, but anyone in fourth year or below has to leave now and there is to be NO ALCOHOL," Lily demanded, and James knew he was in the clear.

"You got it, Flower. I'll go tell Sirius he can't spike the punch this year, and we'll start getting rid of the little ones," he agreed, but Lily just waved him off.

"Get on with it. I guess there really is nothing you boys can't get away with," she sighed wistfully, but the slight smile on her face betrayed how she really felt.

"You know you love us really," James grinned, to which Lily just shoved him playfully.

"Just get on with it,"

"Yes, ma'am," James saluted her, running off.

Lily sighed as she poured herself a glass of Butterbeer, resigning herself to a night of keeping the party from getting too out of hand instead of reading the Potions book she had gotten for Christmas like she had originally planned.