sexy black hair and other things i cant help but notice

a Siriusly Klutzy story.

"Ms. Evans, please be so kind as to take your eyes off of the back of Mr. Potter's head, and start your examination," were the horrible, horrible words that haunted me for a week.

Because you see, no one was supposed to know that I was staring at his hair. On a good day, I can stare into oblivion (or into the back of James Potter's head...) without being noticed. Being a fairly good student helps, it's a concentration thing. The fact that I did it during Arithmacy (notably my worst subject) blew my apparently not so subtle cover. Professor Vector has it out for me, I just know it.

I mean, how does she know I wasn't just thinking?

Because of her mortifying comment, I was completely embarrassed resulting in a P on the test. In all honesty, I would have failed that thing not only if she hadn't said anything, but even if he wasn't in the class. I'm rubbish at Arithmacy. Too much to do with numbers for my liking.

"So, Lily," Alice said in a sing song voice when we walked out of the class. She was smiling wickedly. Not a good sign. "What'd you think of the test?" she asked, still in sing song.

"It was... all right," I said carefully, waiting for the blow of "You were staring at James Potter in class!" to come.

"I thought so, too," she said grinning like the loon she is.

"There was the problem. With the numbers. That one was difficult..." I said stupidly, trying hard to avoid the subject (and obviously failing miserably as I had no idea what we were doing in class this past week or what we took the test on. I hate being peer pressured into taking classes I didn't want to take in the first place.)

"Oh yes," Alice said knowingly. "That one was rather difficult."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

I could see in her eyes that she was bursting to say something, but she's a decent person (though sometimes I'm convinced otherwise...) and kept her mouth shut because approximately four paces ahead of us were James and the others. Who could no doubt overhear everything we said.

Keep it casual. Good, Alice.

Even if she was smiling like a loon. But they can't see that.

We stayed quiet until we reached the Common Room. We were dropping out bags off before lunch and then coming back up here for our free period. My thoughts unconsciously drifted. Until I received a sharp blow to the arm that is.

"What?" I asked, rubbing my upper harm fiercely. Alice hits hard.

"You were doing it. Again."

"Doing what?" I asked, completely unaware of the horrible situation I put myself in.

"Staring at Potter."

I froze. Indeed I was. I could almost see the hole I burned into his school shirt from where I was looking. Ugh.

You see, let me explain. I've liked James Potter for, oh, about three weeks now. Of course, he's barely acknowledged my existence. I've only been caught staring three times. This one time in lunch while he was eating a peanut butter and fluff sandwich, in Arithmacy, and just now by Alice, who of course knew everything and was trying to get me to save face by directing my "desirable needs", as she so nicely called them, elsewhere.

But it's not my fault. Besides, I only look when he's facing the other way so it's not like we ever make eye contact. I just have a nice view of his messy hair, his nice back, his oh so lovely bum, his gorgeous legs and all the other things I can't help but notice.