the deal with james

disclaimer: written by Mercurial Fire

The Deal with James

Lily sat in front of the fire in the Heads' common room frustrated with herself. This was the fifth day in a row that she couldn't stop thinking about James when she was supposed to concentrate on her homework.

She sighed as she realized she couldn't get any more work done tonight. James was on her mind often lately and she knew why. Lily had recently sorted out her feelings for the head boy, and she was in love with him.

They had become friends at the beginning of the year because of their positions of head boy and girl. They started studying together when they realized that James was excelling in Transfiguration and Lily needed help. Lily was excelling in Charms and James needed help there.

After they started studying together, they started hanging out more in their free time. Lily realized most of the pranks they pulled were lighthearted and funny even for the victim. She also realized that she had really hurt James's feelings in 6th year. He had asked her out sincerely once a month instead of once a day, but she denied him cruelly.

Now she wishes that she had accepted. She apologized to James about one particular incident when she had rejected him especially harshly, and he accepted the apology. From that point on, Lily saw what a great person he was and she slowly fell in love.

What was driving Lily crazy now was the uncertainty over whether or not he still liked her because she was convinced he didn't like her as more than a friend.

Lily sighed again and picked up her books. She stood up and moved toward her room when the portrait hole opened.

Lily stopped against her better judgment and turned around to look at the head boy.

He stepped in exhaustedly and dropped all his bags on the ground. James glanced around the room and saw Lily about to go to sleep.

"Hey, Lily."

"Hey," she said shyly.

He plopped onto a couch and patted the seat next to him.

"I'm tired," she replied even as she walked towards him.

"What's making my lilyflower tired?" James questioned.

"Nothing," she replied quickly. She put her books on the table and sat down next to him.

"That sounds like something. Maybe a bad grade?"

"NO! My grades are fine, thank you."

"Hmmm. This requires heavy thought." James pretended to put on a thinking cap.

"A girl problem?"

"No," She decided to confess part of her problem to him. "Actually I have a boy problem."

James raised his eyebrows. "A boy? I was close, but how could a simple boy have my Lily going to sleep at seven?"

"Well...I think I love him, but he doesn't feel the same way."

"Lily, any guy would be crazy not to like you. You're intelligent, funny, beautiful..." James looked her in the eyes. "Any guy would love you."

Lily looked away from James's eyes. "Any guy except him. I'm sure of it."

"How sure? Because now I want to bet. I want to bet that whoever you love feels the same way. If he doesn't, I'll do whatever you ask me to for a whole month."

If I tell him, he might reject me, and we won't be friends anymore. That was a painful thought.

But maybe...he might like me back? No, I was too cruel to him in the past. I deserve this heartbreak. If I hadn't been so cruel in 6th year when he changed, maybe his feelings wouldn't have changed.

But if he has to do whatever I say, could I make him go out with me?

I wouldn't want our first date to be forced, though. I don't want any of our dates to be forced. I want him to want me of his own free will.

James waved his hand in front of Lily's face. "Lily, did you hear what I said?"

"Only one month?" she asked jokingly.

"Ok, I would do whatever you said without complaining until the end of the year," James said.

"You would do whatever I said, when I said it, without complaining?" she asked incredulously.

"Yep. And all you have to do is ask the guy if he likes you," he explained.

Lily looked at him suspiciously. "What do you get if the guy likes me and you're right?"

He smiled at her gently. "I get the satisfaction of knowing that you're happy and not crying your eyes out while I'm at quidditch practice."

"I was not crying, and I resent that stereotype. Girls don't always cry after the guy," she argued.

James glanced at her with a bored expression. "Lily, I can see right through you. Don't try to change the subject. Do you agree to my deal?"

If he doesn't like me, could I deal with it? Life would be so different if James wasn't there for me.

I never realized how much I depend on him. How much I love him.

"James," she sighed. "This is a huge deal to me. If the guy rejects me, I'll be heartbroken, and then it doesn't matter what you do. I have to think about this."

"Lily, listen to me! This guy won't reject you. You're liked as a friend by all the guys except the Slytherins..." James trailed off. A thought seemed to hit him.

"Lily," he said slowly. "Do you like a Slytherin?" Another thought seemed to hit him.

"Do you love Snape?" he asked quietly, looking down.

Lily was shocked into replying. "No! He's not a Slytherin or Snape." She shuddered.

"Snape betrayed me worse than anyone else ever has, and I can't forgive him," she confessed softly.

James looked like he understood what she was talking about. "I'm sorry, Lily. But you need to learn to trust again. Whoever you like will at least give you a chance if he isn't a Slytherin."

"James, there are some guys you don't understand. There are some who won't date me."

"I'll give you time to think. But if you tell him and he is gay or stupid, I will hold up my end of the deal. Whatever you say, whenever you say, without complaints." James yawned and looked at the clock.

"I'm going to shower and go to sleep. Goodnight, Lily," he said looking at her thoughtful expression. "Don't wear yourself out over this bum who's bothering you."

He stood up and walked toward the stairs.

"Thanks, James. Goodnight."

When he was gone, Lily picked up her books and went to her room.