Love and insecurity

Disclaimer: written by @littlemissjily

Everyone thought her eyes were her best quality.

They were vibrant, exuberant, and so full of life - just like her personality. They were as green as green could possibly be. He hadn't thought it was even possible to have eyes that green until he'd seen her for the first time on Platform 9 and ¾ right at the start of first year.

When she looked at him, he felt as if she could see right through all of his bullshit; as cliché as it sounds, he felt like she was peering deep inside him, right into his soul. She constantly unnerved him whenever she stared him straight in the eyes - hers were all-seeing. Just so open and knowing and downright beautiful.

There was no question that her eyes were gorgeous. But they weren't his favourite thing about her.

She wasn't particularly fond of her eyes.

She knew they unnerved people - and she didn't mean to unnerve them. But the unintentional intensity of her gaze threw people off balance when she looked at them - especially when she held eye contact with them for a little too long. They were too green, she often thought. How can anyone's eyes be that green? It was unnatural, in her opinion - like if someone had red eyes. It was scary. Unnerving. Uncomfortable. And she hated making people uncomfortable.

People adored her hair.

It was fiery red - just like her temper. It wasn't a fake shade of red, like a lot of so-called redheads' hair was - "red" with an orange hue - it was real red, like a shade of blood, or a bright red apple. He swore that he'd never met anyone with hair as red as hers.

And he liked that. It made her all the more unique.

But it wasn't his favourite thing about her.

She couldn't stand her hair.

It was untamable and uncooperative, and it stood out much more than she'd like it to. Not only was it the most vibrant shade of red in the world, but also it was too curly to be neat.

Everything about her was organized and precise - her homework, her room, her workspace, her closet, everything - except her hair. And she'd tried on countless occasions to tame it, to no avail.

It was simply impossible.

(He'd admitted to her once that whenever he was looking for her in a large crowd, all he had to do was find her blood red, crazy hair in the sea of people. He'd also admitted that it never took long to find her. And she'd never tell anyone this, of course, but it was only then that she began to think that maybe her hair wasn't so bad after all)

Whenever people thought of her they thought of Christmas because the first thing they saw when they looked at her was bright green and blood red.

But he didn't.

Sure, red and green often came to mind when he thought of her. It was hard not to think about those colours since they practically radiated off of her vivacious presence. But they weren't the first things that came to mind when he caught himself thinking of her.

The first thing he thought of was her freckles.

They filled up nearly every inch of space on her pale face - little brown specks scattered in random patterns everywhere. Whenever they were alone, sitting at the top of the Astronomy Tower and watching for falling stars (for she loved Astronomy almost as much as Charms, and he loved watching her face light up in anticipation of the exciting things the sky could bring) and she would tell him all about the different constellations in the sky and their names and stories, he thought about how her freckles looked like constellations of their own.