Dont hurt me

A/N okay so it's like midnight whatever, I'm lowkey having a sad crying moment whilst reading fanfictions sooooo there's gonna be a little sad spam bahahahahah.
Also I don't remember if I have posted these so if I have please let me know x

Disclaimer: written by @precieslypotter

Don't Hurt Me

"Are you alright?"

Lily glanced up, drying her eyes with the back of her hand violently. "What?"

He stepped forward, eyes concerned behind his spectacles. "Are you alright?" he repeated.

"Why should you care?" she asked bitterly. "It always amuses you when I'm upset."

"No, I... it never amuses me," he said, sounding shocked. "Why would it?" James came to sit beside her in front of the fire, his hands twisting anxiously together. He did not look directly at her, and she fidgeted at the nearness of him.

"But you always laugh at me," Lily said darkly. "When things happen to me, you always laugh."

James didn't say anything, shifting uncomfortably. They sat in silence together, but very much apart. She felt uncomfortable by his presence, the same way she always did. He unsettled her, after years of tormenting her best friend and her as well, all she felt was anxiety before him.

After a time, he asked again, "Are you alright?"

"I... no, I'm not." She laughed coldly. "I'm anything but alright."

"What's the matter?"

"I think you know," answered Lily. "Severus. It's always Severus."

She hazarded a glance at him to see his complexion darken. "Yeah, I guess it is," he muttered. "What did he do this time?"

Lily shook her head numbly. "It seems like every time I turn into an empty hallway, he's there, trying to be my friend again. And I know, I know where his loyalties lie and who he's become, but the pathetic thing is, I want to take him back. I miss him."

"You miss him, even though he called you a mudblood in front of half the school."

"It was your fault he said that!" she snapped. "If he wasn't hanging upside down from your spell, it wouldn't have come out."

James shot her a look. "Maybe I did you a favor."

She gaped. "How was that a favor?"

He shrugged. "At least now you know what he's been thinking."

"I wish I didn't know," she admitted. "I wish we were still friends - sometimes, I think that if I'd stayed with him, he wouldn't be the way he is now."

"Lily, there are some things that don't change," James said quietly. "I mean, look at the people he chose to be friends with once he got to Hogwarts. They weren't like you, Lily. Maybe he's always been dark on the inside, and there was nothing you could do."

"What does that say about me?"

James rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "It says... you hope for things."

She wiped away another runaway tear. "So, I'm naïve? Is that what you're telling me?"

"No, I mean you're an optimist."

They were quiet again, and Lily took this in and studied it in the flames. The fire licked the air, spelling out a language of confusion and hope and worry. She felt warm from the heat in front of her and the heat by her side. He seemed to emanate a feeling of intensity that warmed her on the inside rather than her skin.