Visits

Disclaimer: written by @grapes-day

Summary: The four times Lily visits a Marauder in the hospital wing and the one time they visit her.

1.

Lily turned around once her Charms lesson started, confused by the quietness that had engulfed the classroom the moment Professor Flitwick entered. Usually, Potter and Black had either started disrupting the class by opening their loud mouths or playing a prank on their fellow classmates, Severus being the most targeted one.

The third year student subtly looked around and furrowed her eyebrows when she realised that neither Potter nor Black was in the classroom, and when she scanned the room once more, she realised that neither Remus nor Pettigrew were around either. She turned back to pay attention to her teacher, shrugging when Severus looked at her questioningly.

"The Marauders aren't here," she mumbled and he smirked. Lily raised her eyebrows at her best friend. "It's too quiet."

"It's peaceful," Severus snorted and Lily sent him an annoyed glance. "I heard this morning that Lupin's in the hospital wing. Maybe he had a rough night yesterday. It was a full moon."

Lily rolled her eyes at Severus' insinuation and tuned him out, unwilling to listen to another round of how Lupin was a werewolf and that he should be expelled from the school. Truth was, she liked Remus. He was friendly and kind, so unlike his companions. Lily made a mental promise to make sure that Remus was alright.

When she reached the hospital wing later that day, she stopped short at the sight in front of her. Remus was on the hospital bed, sleeping peacefully. If not for the way his chest rose and fell, Lily would have thought he was dead. The scratched and bruises on his face and those along his arm that she could see frightened her. What had Remus been involved in?

If the image of Remus' close to mangled face had not shocked her, then the image of his three friends would have. She had never seen them so broken and so quiet. Pettigrew sat at the edge of Remus' bed, his eyes glazed as he kept wiping them so that neither Potter nor Black saw that he was close to breaking down. Lily's heart ached for him. On the right side of Remus, Black sat on the chair, his eyes closed as he rocked back and forth, muttering about finding a solution. Lily felt her heart sink at that. A solution for what? Was Severus' claim about them true?

She turned her attention to Potter next. He stood at the window, staring out of the window with a lost expression on his face. She found herself walking towards him, wanting, for some reason, to make him feel better. As much as she disliked Potter, she had to admit that he was a loyal and protective friend. Seeing Remus that way was probably killing him.

"Is he okay?" her voice sounded timid to her own ears. Almost immediately, the three Marauders sprang up from their spots and Lily resisted the urge to throw a sarcastic comment. "Well?"

Potter cleared his throat. "Madame Pomfrey said that he'd wake up in a few hours. He needs the rest after what he went through."

"And what did he go through, exactly?" she asked, curious as she made herself comfortable on the other side of Remus.

"None of your business, Evans," Black replied coolly and Lily narrowed her eyes at him. Black rolled his eyes and Potter sat beside him and continued staring at Lily, as though he could not believe that she was with them, and that she was not cursing him. Deciding that she would get more out of Potter than Black, Lily raised her eyebrows at the prankster.

"He was practising one of the advanced spells and it went wrong," he said and Lily crossed her arms across her chest as she gave him a sceptical look. A few minutes later, when she realised that that was all the explanation she was getting, she huffed.