lilys sick day

disclaimer: written by owlsong489

It was half past eleven o'clock in the morning and all of the seventh year Gryffindors ought to have been in double potions with the Hufflepuffs. Except at half past eleven o'clock that morning, one Lily Evans was laying huddled under a pile of blankets in her dormitory, surrounded by a pile of used tissues and a cup of tea, half drunk and cold by now. She had tried to make it out of bed this morning, but she was almost immediately pushed back into it by her friends after she emerged from the curtains of her four-poster. She was informed by Gemma that she looked paler and deader than Nearly Headless Nick. And Mary made the charming comment that one look at her would have James running to don a hazmat suit, which is not really the desired attire for intimate moments.

So with little complaint, but plenty of promises from her friends to copy all the notes for the day, Lily retreated to the comfort of her blankets. Plus a few extra that she summoned from the beds of her roommates. Surely they wouldn't mind. After all, they cared about her well being, and right now she just needed 6 blankets to be warm.

She awoke suddenly at eleven, after three hours of failed attempts at napping. She looked to her bedside table, reaching out to take a sip of water when she realized that the glass was gone. She could have sworn it was there when she went back to sleep that morning, but no, it wasn't anywhere to be seen. Just as she was gathering the courage to brave the world outside her bed, she heard a familiar but shocking voice coming from the bathroom door behind her.

"Sirius?" she managed to croak.

"The one and only. At your service!" he said with a smile, setting her now full glass of water on the table.

"But what are you doing here? How did you- on second thought, I don't want to know." She shook her head and immediately regretted it—she could feel her brain bouncing back and forth inside her skull. And it echoed. She let out a groan, sinking back into her pillows.

"Oh man, Lily. You really are sick."

"What? Did you think I just decided to skip today? Because that's so like me."

"Well I did have a hard time believing Gems when she said you were skipping classes today. You're never sick, Evans."

Lily merely groaned in agreement, her eyes closing in an attempt to ignore the pain in her throat and head.

"What are you doing here, though? Not that I don't mind the company," said Lily weakly, smiling ever so slightly at the last bit.

"Gemma was really worried about you but she couldn't come up to check on you. And you know I'm just a caring and chivalrous lad and volunteered my services to come up for her."

"You liar. You just wanted out of Potions."

Sirius laughed and shrugged. "An added bonus. Now come on, you should have some water." He helped to pull her up on her pillows and then handed her the glass of water.

Sirius spent a few minutes filling her in on all she had missed in Transfiguration earlier that morning. Of course, he only seemed to include funny anecdotes about their classmates rather than the material that McGonagall had actually covered. But she didn't mind. It was nice just to have some company. And her mom had always said that laughter was the best medicine.

Ten minutes later the door to the dorm burst open and Gemma O'Malley came running in, her arms full of papers and books.

"Oh good! You're up."

Lily shrugged and sent her a reassuring smile.

"You still look awful though," she said, as she got closer.