Meet the mother (part 2)

"James!" Lily squeaked in a voice that resembled a rat being strangled. She could feel the blush already covering her face and neck and she had a sneaking suspicion that she looked like a startled bird or something to that effect.

If she hadn't been so hideously mortified - so mortified in fact, that she was already considering dropping out of Hogwarts and avoiding anyone with the last name starting with P for the rest of her life - it would have almost been funny.

Needless to say, Lily wasn't laughing.

James opened his mouth and snapped it shut, blinking dumbly at Lily. "I...er..."

"Please tell me you didn't hear what I just said," Lily pleaded, clinging on to the miniscule shred of hope that James didn't hear her confess her love for him. Even if it was certain that James had indeed heard her. He had heard every stupid, damning word that had escaped her lips, every embarrassing confession - he had heard her say that she had a sex dreamabout him.

"I didn't hear anything you just said," James repeated dutifully, but from the shocked, confused look on his face he was clearly saying that only to appease her. Lily groaned, sinking to the dirty bathroom floor. Tears were burning at the back of her eyelids but she refused to cry. She wasn't going to humiliate herself even further in front of James, who had not moved from the door, his jaw hanging open.

Blinking up at the ceiling, Lily sighed. "I guess you know now then." There was a pregnant pause and the two Head students remained completely still, only the sound of the muffled clutter from The Three Broomsticks to be heard. "Go on, tell me you don't like me, tell me you just want to be friends. It's okay, I'll get over it soon enough, but James, I just... I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to ruin our friendship and I'm so sorry that I've done this, and I know you've gotten over me and I know I was a bitch to you but -"

Her words stuck in her throat and she coughed, rubbing under her eyes. She wasn'tgoing to cry. She couldn't.

And with that, Lily promptly burst into tears.

"Wait, wait, Lily, don't cry, fuck," James hastily said from the door, running over to sit beside her on the floor. Lily moaned pitifully, burying her face in her hands, not wanting to look at James. It was already humiliating enough; she couldn't bear seeing a look of disgust or pity marring James' features. An arm snaked around her waist and she was being pulled against the boy's warm and comforting chest. If she wasn't so distraught she would have made an effort to pull away, but under the circumstances she could only whine and push her face into his shirt.

"Lily," James said softly, his hands stroking through her hair. "Lily love, I...I don't want to be friends with you."

Lily tore away from the sanctuary of James' arms, her expression aghast. "No! James, honestly, we can just pretend that this never happened, I promise and - oh Merlin, please don't stop being friends with me I don't think I could take that -"

"No, oh fuck no, what I meant was -"

"-I'm so sorry James, this is all my fault, I've ruined everything between us and this is all -"

"Lily, just stop!"

James flushed pink as Lily suddenly shut up, blinking at him a little sadly. He shook his head at her quickly, cradling her face between his hands and looking her seriously in the eye. James sighed, shaking his head once more. "I...I didn't mean it like that. I want to be friends with you - well I don't - no, don't look like that Lils, hear me out!" James took a deep breath in, composing himself. It was weird, seeing James so flustered. Usually he was the epitome of suave, but here he had lost his cool. "I want to kiss you, and I want to hold your hand and I want to be allowed to call you my girlfriend. That's all I've ever wanted."

"Really?" Lily asked, her voice impossibly small. Her heart felt like it was expanding, almost as if she was fitting her and James' love inside her chest at the same time. There was the edge of happiness flickering there, but it was only when James nodded solemnly that it exploded inside of her, filling her with warmth.

A big toothy grin spread over Lily's face, and James smiled back at her, mimicking her expression. "So, can I kiss you yet, Evans?"

Lily pretended to consider it. "I don't know -"

She couldn't even finish her sentence before James' lips were against hers, warm and soft.

For an extraordinarily long amount of time they stayed on the cold, dirty bathroom floor kissing. Lily's hand threaded itself through James' messy hair, tugging every now and again. It was a perfect first kiss, and Lily wondered if this was fate - if she was supposed to be sitting here in the bathroom of The Three Broomsticks, snogging the boy she'd once claimed to hate and now loved with all of her heart. The thought was out of her mind too quickly to dwell on; Lily wasn't one for whimsical day dreaming and she didn't even believe in fate. Even so, the rightnessof the moment tugged at her, making her feel like a silly little girl.

Finally pulling away, Lily licked her lips, smiling shyly. "I really like you James," she admitted, and the pleased blush on James' cheeks said it all.

"I really like you too, Evans."

"Oh fucking finally!" A loud, annoyingly familiar voice shouted from the door. James and Lily jumped apart, turning to glare at the smirking Sirius, Alice and Felicity standing behind him.

James pursed his lips in annoyance. "Whyare you in the toilet, Sirius?" He paused. "And a girls' toilet at that."

"You were taking a suspiciously long time, Prongs, and now I see why," Sirius shot back cheekily, ignoring the way James looked like he'd very much like to saw his best mate in half. Instead he observed Lily with a pleased expression. "So, you two finally got your act together then?"

Alice squealed, clapping her hands together, "This is so fantastic!"

It felt like Lily's cheeks hadn't stopped being an ugly shade of red since it was revealed that kind old Felicity was kind old Felicity Potter. She couldn't bring herself to even glance in Felicity's direction, feeling hyper conscious of the messy hair and red lips that she was sporting.

She looked, in other words, thoroughly snogged.

"Oh, don't look so ashamed, Lily," Felicity laughed, rolling her eyes. Reaching a hand down she helped the young girl up, passing Lily her brush, which had been forgotten on the floor. "I've had a fair few kisses in my day, you know. Brush your hair though, deary."

"Er...yes, Mrs Potter," Lily said meekly and Sirius roared with laughter, clapping James on the back and giving him a hand up too. James shook him off, still looking a little annoyed that their snogging session had been so rudely interrupted.

"Don't call me Mrs Potter, love," Felicity said, winking at her. "We're friends, aren't we?"

"Yes..." Lily said, unsurely. It felt like the whole dynamic had changed, or perhaps being found on a bathroom floor with the woman's son had made the atmosphere a little awkward.

"You are going to hang around for a while, I'd assume," Felicity said, and took the brush from Lily. "Here, let me do that."

Lily smiled slowly, glancing in the mirror and meeting James' warm hazel eyes. He was watching her with an affectionately amused look as Felicity brushed through her red hair, and winked when he saw her looking. Lily bit her lip, and, making sure the three other occupants of the bathroom weren't looking, winked back.

And, okay, maybe Lily was a little heads over heels in love with James Potter, but that was okay if he loved her back.