For the first time... lily kissed james

Disclaimer: written by @junebug617

Lily Evans was not the type who woke up easily. She was the type that had the Russian Circus called in as her alarm because the normal beeping from her muggle clock meant absolutely nothing to her. She was the type that needed more than a push or a shove to get out of bed. She needed a whole bulldozer. That's why when she woke up in the middle of the night her second day back Sixth Year, it took her a second to understand what was going on.

Blearily adjusting to the darkness around her, Lily wondered what could've possibly woken her. All that was permeating the utter silence in her dorm was Alice's soft snores across the room and Marlene's louder than normal breathing due to the cold she developed in Potions this afternoon. There was no reason she should be awake. With a small groan of frustration, Lily flopped back onto her pillow and squeezed her eyes shut, hoping to catch the last remnants of sleep.

This plan did not work well and she tossed and turned until Emmeline's voice drifted softly from her left, "Lily, dearest, you're moving too much. You're going to wake the whole room."

"Sorry." Lily cringed and went still.

"S'fine," Emmeline whispered back groggily, drifting peacefully back into sleep.

Staying still was even more painful and finally, with a deep breath of disappointment, Lily heaved herself off her bed and grabbing her Transfiguration textbook, headed for the Common Room. Might as well use her time wisely, Lily thought while yawning deeply. She shut the door softly and then treaded down the spiraling stairs, thinking maybe she could study a little and then try for sleep again.

Absorbed in her own thoughts, she missed the voices coming from the couch until she nearly stepped out of the staircase. Jumping back up a few steps, Lily realized that she was not the only one awake at, checking her watch, 3:30 in the morning. The two voices were male and one seemed angry while the other just seemed weary. Come on, I know those voices, Lily told herself, still trying to rub sleep out of her eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" the angry voice demanded.

"You didn't ask, so I didn't tell," the weary one responded. Lily thought she heard a sigh. "It wasn't like I could just walk up to you and break the news that...that..."

"That your life was a living hell." The angry voice quieted. Lily knew that voice.

"Potter," she muttered to herself, creeping to the edge of the staircase and peeping into the Common Room. What was he doing here at this hour?

James's face was obscured by the shadows that leaped from the fire over the carpet and encased his pajama-clad body. Lily only knew it was him because his glasses glinted brightly in the crackling firelight. Sirius' head of dark hair was much more visible over the back of the couch which he sat on and Lily shook her head in disapproval. What were these two planning this time? They had only been back a few days for Merlin's sake.

The silence between the two continued and Lily crept forward a bit more into the light, realizing that Potter was much too absorbed in his best friend to see a glint of red hair on the staircase. His arms were crossed and she realized he didn't look angry, he looked in pain. Sirius had his back to her, head in his hands as he stared into the fire.

"How long has this been going on?" James asked quietly and Lily strained to hear over the crackling of the fire.

"Ever since I was sorted into Gryffindor," Sirius's husky response came.

"That was nearly five years ago," James observed, his tone unreadable. "They've been that cruel to you for five whole years and you never said anything?"