a shoulder to lean on (part one)

disclaimer: written by Blue.Limitless

(this is the summer before 7th year)

"Protego" Lily yelled, casting the shield charm just in time to deflect the lamp her sister had just thrown at her. Not once had Lily used magic in one of their fights, but this time she didn't have a choice.

" Just leave FREAK! Take all your freakishness and get the fuck away from me! I never want to see you again. I wish you were never born" Petunia screamed at her sister.

"Please Tuny, please stop. You don't mean that" Lily desperately pleaded with her sister. Lily slowly walked towards her petunia, arms raised in surrender and tried again. "please Petunia, just talk to me. We used to be best friends when we were little, why can't we try to get along?"

"Because you are a FREAK! You are not normal. A mistake. You were not meant to be in this world. I'm done with you and your freakishness running my life. Mum and Dad might be blinded from the truth, but not me. I can see just how much you don't belong in the world. "

"But I am your sister! We are supposed to be friends, we're supposed to accept each other the way they are."

"Get it through your head, we are not sisters." And with that Petunia slapped Lily across her face leaving a bright red hand print her cheek. That is all it took to finally break Lily. She could take being called mean names, despite how much it hurt. But never had Petunia slapped her with that much hate. Lily used to believe that Petunia didn't actually hate her and that the name calling and mean comments were just a mask for the jealousy and hurt that had been slowly building ever since Lily received her acceptance letter and left her sister behind. But she now saw just how wrong she had been. The sisters stood there staring at each other, both were breathing heavily but only Lily had tears streaming down her face.

Lily searched her sister's face for any sign of remorse, but her search came up empty. Something inside lily broke. She had to get out of there and away from the hate filled eyes that were currently staring relentlessly at her. Lily drew her wand, to one last glance around the now wrecked living room, turned on the spot and disapparated.

Over the past two years she and James slowly became friends and Lily, though she would deny it to anyone who asked, began to have feelings for him. After the incident after the O.W.L.s , the day that sev- No Snape had called her that one unforgivable word, the day she lost her best friend. Even though she had lost him the moment they were sorted into different houses, the comment still hurt. Lily did lose a friend that day, she also gained one-well actually two, considering the fact the James and Sirius were a package deal. James had done something that Shocked Lily completely. He apologized. He apologized for teasing her, embarrassing her, playing mean pranks on her. He asked for a second chance, a chance to be friends.

Lily looked up and saw the grand entrance gate of Potter Manor. She was slightly intimidated by it. It looked like something you would find guarding a castle with the tall metal rods and shinny family crest. Even though she and James were good friends, Lily was still surprised to see that this was the first place that come to mind when she disapparated. She then realized that she was quickly becoming drenched from the rain. Unsure of what she should do, she made a list of her options.

Her best friend Marlene was in France with her family. Alice was currently visiting her boyfriend frank. Mary and Emma had four brothers and didn't really have room for her. It was almost the full moon so that took Remus out if the equation and Lily really wasn't close enough with her other friends to show up unannounced looking for a place to stay. And on top of all that she was beginning to become very wet and very cold. Lily hesitantly walked up to the large oak door, lifted her hand, and knocked.