The first time lily said yes

Disclaimer: written by @junebug617

Lily stared out the window of her classroom at the cool October sunshine. It was a beautiful Tuesday afternoon. She could picture how the grounds looked right now, with an array of golden leaves hanging from each tree and a warm breeze sweeping in to ripple the waters of the lake. Birds would flutter from the Forbidden Forest to leave behind the growing chilly weather for the warmth of the south. The sun would be high in the sky right now, shining over the mountains and the treetops and most of all, Hogwarts. Lily smiled. What a beautiful-

"Miss Evans, did you hear me?"

"What?" Lily broke out of her reverie to notice about ten pairs of eyes staring her way.

"I asked what the most important component to the Patronus Charm was," Professor Merrigan repeated.

"Oh," Lily scrambled to look through the sparse notes in front of her. "Er-a memory. You need a memory."

Merrigan looked disproving but he accepted her answer with a curt nod and moved on. Lily sighed in relief.

"A memory is correct," he said, moving amongst the rows of students. "But what type of memory... Mr. Potter?"

"A happy one," James answered on cue.

"Correct," Merrigan smiled.

Sirius smirked. "Hey Evans," he whispered, turning around from the desk in front of her and Marlene. "I cant believe James just answered a question right faster than you."

Lily only scowled and turned back to her parchment.

"Touchy," the handsome Seventh Year observed.

"Oh piss off," Marlene told Sirius. "I thought you of all people would approve of our new Lily. Shirking notes in class to stare out windows, only answering half a question right." Marlene touched her heart. "She's finally becoming a teenager."

"We've trained her so well," Sirius sniffed with fake emotion. "Our little girl, growing up." He nudged James who sat next to him, but James only a smiled a bit and returned to his notes.

Sirius rolled his eyes in exasperation. "We may have rubbed off on you, Evans, but you've rubbed off on James as well it seems."

"James Potter, taking notes," Marlene smiled, pushing out her bottom lip. "How sweet."

"Being Head Boy has ruined him, I fear," Sirius continued on dramatically, placing a hand over his forehead. "Who knows if he will ever recover!"

"Am I boring you?"

Professor Merrigan was gazing at them sternly from the front of the classroom. Marlene and Lily immediately put their heads back down towards their books, but Sirius only grinned and stood. "Of course not, Professor Merrigan," he said sincerely. "I just couldn't help but brag that my friend James here can actually produce a full-fledged Patronus."

"Sirius!" James whispered through gritted teeth, tugging on Sirius's robe sleeve.

"Mr. Potter, is this true?" Merrigan asked, his eyebrows raised.

"I've seen it," Sirius bragged, swatting away James's hands.

"Please sit down, Mr. Black," Merrigan said sternly. "I was asking Mr. Potter." He turned his gaze back to James, who was red in the face. "Is what Mr. Black says true?"

James sunk down in his chair and nodded. The whole class broke into excited whispers and even Lily felt a strange mixture of jealously and admiration at James's forced confession. Patronus Charms were incredibly complicated, especially those that took the shape of an actual animal. Even Professor Merrigan was only hoping for half-formed ones at most from his N.E.W.T. level students.