a shoulder to lean on (part two)

James and Lily were lounging on the couch in the living room. They had just spent the last few hours playing card games and one round of wizard's chess, before they all got bored and just ended up talking. Sirius was currently in his room taking a nap. James had his feet propped up on the coffee table and Lily's legs were draped across his lap.

"Hey Lily?"

"Yeah?"

"Will you go to Hogsmead with me?"

"James we're not in school."

"So? We will go when the school year starts. Or we can go to Diagon Alley. I just want to take you out somewhere. So, will you?" James stared at her expectantly, waiting for her answer.

"Well....since the giant squid is unavailable."

"Is that a yes,"James asked eagerly.

"Yes it is," Lily said with a smile on her face. Truth be told, she would have said yes the last time he asked but he was still a bullying toerag so she had told him smile on James's face was one of the biggest Lily had ever seen. He leaned down and kissed her. James pulled away and yelled very loudly, "Padfoot, get down here." Lily heard a thump, the someone walking down the stairs, rather noisily she might add, then Sirius appeared in the doorway.

"What is so important that you had to wake me up from my nap."

"You owe me money."

"What the hell prongs! You woke me up to tell me that i owe you money. I told you that since I bought the chocolate that I wasn't going to pay you back for the butterbeer."

"That's not what I was talking about."

"Well then what was it."

"I have a date with the lovely Lily Evans. A date that you said would never happen. So therefor you owe me money." Just as Sirius was opening his mouth to reply, Lily cut him off.

"YOU BET ON ME?"Lily yelled. She couldn't believe it. This had all been nothing more than a bet between mate. "I knew it. It was all about the chase wasn't it? It was just a bet."

"No, lily that's not true. I-" james tried to apologize, but Sirius cut him off again.

"Just a bet? Well if it was just a bet then I shouldn't of had to endure him talking about you non stop since fourth year. Look Lily if it makes you feel better, we bet on just about everything. We bet on how many detentions we will get that semester. We bet on quidditch games. We even bet on how many times Remus will facepalm when we all hang out. Oh and before you ask, no we don't have a gambling problem."

They were all quiet for a minute before Sirius got bored and decided to start a new conversation.

"So Evans, how are you doing today? Have you talked to your parents yet?"

"No I haven't."

"Do they even know where you are?"

"They do" James said.

Lily was confused."What? I didn't send them an owl."

"I know. I sent them one last night after I brought you upstairs. I explained where you were and that you are safe." James smiled down at her. He cupped her cheek in his hand and brushed his thumb across it. He softly kissed her forehead.

"Thanks. You really are amazing you know that?" Lily smiled at James. He really was a great guy. He had changed so much from the bullying, arrogant toerag that used to cures people just for the fun of it. Their moment was interrupted by Sirius clearing his throat.

"Maybe the two of you can save that for some other time. Say, when i'm not here?"

Lily blushed and muttered an apology, but James just smiled and kissed Lily. James had meant for the kiss to be a simple in-you-face-Padfoot kiss but it turned into a passionate open mouth kiss. A few seconds into the kiss and james heard Sirius get up and leave muttering something about finding him when they were done eating each other's faces. James had to put up with Sirius snogging girls for the past few years, but he quickly pushed that from his mind. He did not need to be thinking of his best mate right now when there was a much prettier, wonderful and amazing girl kissing him.

There was no where else that Lily would rather be. Kissing James had to be one of the most thrilling, sensational, marvelous things to do. They had slowly migrated from their upright, sitting position. Lily was now leaning back with her head resting on the couch armrest with James hovering over her. He had one had tangled in her hair and the other he was using to keep himself propped up. The kiss slowed down and became sweet and gentle rather than rough and desperate. They kissed one last time before getting up off the couch. James took a look at Lily and laughed.

"What what's so funny," Lily asked. "What?"

James grabbed her by the shoulders, and still laughing, steered her to the mirror. Lily took one look at her crazy, messy head of hair and started laughing too. It looked like a bright red squirrel's nest. It was going to take a long time to get that out.

"James! Look what you did. This is going to take forever to untangle."

"Isn't there just some charm that you can use to make it untangle itself?"

"Yeah, but that's not the point. The point is that you made my hair look like something a cat coughed up." that just made James laugh harder. When he saw the annoyed look on Lily's face he stopped

"Look Lily, I'm sorry that I made your hair look like that, but I was a little preoccupied."

Lily laughed and gave up. It really wasn't a big deal and the conditions that it had occurred under were far from unpleasant. Lily pulled her wand out of her back pocket, pointed it at her head and muttered the incantation. Her hair untangled itself at settled itself down upon her shoulders.

"I'm hungry." James announced.

"Good for you."

"Let's go get something to eat."

"Fine."

"I'll race you," and with that James took off running.

"Hey! That's cheating," Lily called, before running after him.

When they arrived in the kitchen Sirius was sitting at the table eating a roast chicken. James was sitting down and a house elf was handing him a plate full of food. The elf turned to her and asked, "Anything Mimi can get for you miss?"

Lily hesitated. James nodded at her encouragingly.

"May I please have some soup?"

"Of course miss."

Lily walked over and sat down across from James. She smiled at him and he returned it with a smirk and a wink. Without looking up from his food Sirius said, "if the two of you don't stop making eyes at each other I will charm you two to the ceiling. Oh and James? That's my leg. Not Lily's."