jealousy wears a green mask (3)

"You girls so owe me." It wasn't Sirius's first complaint of the day, and it was hardly likely to be the last. He was positioned on a very unmanly poof, surrounded by sparkly mirrors. The carpet was plush and purple, and he sat opposite a pair dressing rooms whose curtains resembled tapestries, both displaying dancing fairies.

"We know." Lily sounded exasperated and muffled from behind one of the ghastly curtains.

"I'm breaking more than a few rules for you girls," Sirius continued in a suffering tone.

"Since when do you have any issue breaking rules?" Mary's voice came from behind the other curtain.

"I'm not talking about school rules," Sirius rolled his eyes, though the effect was lost on the girls.

"He's talking about lady rules," Remus walked into the room carrying a bag bursting with chocolates and candies. Bribery had been the only way Sirius could convince Remus to join the expedition; there was no way he would be the only man in a store filled with poofs and pink.

"Lady rules?" Mary stuck her head around the curtain, eyes dancing, "Pray tell, Remus, what is this lady rule that Sirius is violating?"

"Never take a girl shopping, they'll make you carry things and it's far too close to the friend zone," Remus's tone was serious but his eyes were laughing. Sirius glared at him from his poof. Sirius Black had always been proud of his abilities as a self-proclaimed ladies' man and Remus was killing his edge.

Lily's laugh came from behind her own curtain, "You didn't have to come into Gladrags with us Sirius; you could have left. Remus did."

"And you could have owl-ordered a costume and prevented this whole ordeal," Sirius retorted, shaking his head as he continued, "Nope, Remus only left to get chocolate. We snuck you out, you're our responsibility."

"James would skin us if you got in any danger," Remus agreed, ripping open a chocolate bar and breaking off a slab for Sirius.

"We could take care of ourselves fine you know," Mary pulled herself back into the dressing room.

Remus and Sirius exchanged a horrified look. "Two girls against a hoard of Death Eaters?" Sirius asked, "Even if you two do kick their arses, James would still skin me."

"James is probably going to skin you anyway," Remus pointed out contentedly. Sirius shuddered a bit, not really able to deny Remus's claim. He was definitely not looking forward to James's reaction, but so long as it all worked out, it would be totally worth it... or at least, that's what Sirius kept telling himself.

"Alright guys," Mary's voice came eerily from apparent nowhere, "I'm ready!" And she pushed open her curtain with an emphatic gesture.

"You're not wearing a costume!" Sirius gaped, "All that time and you didn't even change?"

Mary laughed, "I tried on three costumes Sirius, I picked the best one and now I'm back in my street robes."

Sirius shook his head, "No! I refuse to sit here for hours and not even see what you're buying!"

Remus leaned back against the pink wall and watched the pair squabble, glad he already had snacks.

"If you weren't going to show me your costume, why am I even here?" Sirius demanded.

Mary glared, "To stomp your feet and whine like a baby I suppose!"

"Guys?" Lily's voice was quiet but firm, "Can we focus on me for a minute?"

For a moment the three in the waiting lounge were silent as they took in Lily's outfit, but then Mary broke into a grin.

"And that," she said, gesturing at her friend, "is why we can't just 'owl order' things."