firelight waltz

disclaimer: written by cgner

"I'd like to assign the two of you a special, undercover mission," Dumbledore says, his wrinkled fingers steepling on his desk.

Lily hasn't been in his office in several months, but it smells just the same as it always has, with the same afternoon light catching on dust motes hanging in the air. Somehow she thought everything about Hogwarts would seem foreign after she finished her exams. Instead it's like coming home. With James sitting next to her, she could very well pretend that they're still Head Girl and Boy.

"What sort of undercover work?" Lily asks.

"I require two Order members to pose as a newlywed couple."

Lily wants to ask for how long, but James beats her to a response.

"No," he says immediately. "Absolutely not."

Lily's head whips sideways to look at him. "What do you mean, no?"

"I won't do it," James says firmly.

"We don't even know what the mission is, or where, or for how long. How can you say no?"

"Easily. You've said it to me plenty of times – I know you're familiar with the word."

It's been so long since she's spoken to him properly, or seen him for more than a few minutes at a time. She'd forgotten how quickly he makes decisions, but not how obstinate he is once he's made them.

"I admit to some degree of surprise," Dumbledore says mildly. "However, if you're quite decided..."

"I am." James stands up, his tea sitting untouched on the desk, small wisps of steam trailing up into the air. "If that's all?"

"James, wait." She looks helplessly to Dumbledore. "Why does it have to be a couple?"

Dumbledore's mouth curves into a small smile. She's missed that, too, how reassuring it can be. "I've reason to believe an item I require is being held at an inn on the coast of France that specializes in romantic stays."

"It doesn't matter why," James says. "Find someone else. I'm sure Remus would be happy to go."

"Remus will be otherwise occupied with matters only he can attend to," Dumbledore reminds him.

"There are plenty of young men in the Order. Ask one of them."

James marches out the door, but at least he's not so childish as to slam it behind him.

Lily turns back to Dumbledore, ignoring the interested whispers of the portraits surrounding them. "Is there someone else who can go instead of James?"

"I'm afraid every other suitable man is otherwise occupied. James is the only one between missions at the moment."

"Then send another girl," Lily says. "If it has to be him."

"With as much work as we have to accomplish, I scheduled everyone's activities several weeks ago. Foolishly, perhaps, I did not foresee James' reluctance."

"Then have me trade missions."

"The other missions have already begun, some months ago, and this mission must begin tomorrow. We've only a narrow window of opportunity before the object in question moves to a more secure location."

"I can go alone, then."

"I believe it would arouse suspicion to send a young woman by herself to this inn. No, I'll simply have to find another way. Thank you for your cooperation, as unnecessary as it turned out to be."